Mac Users: Good Football Game?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I used to play a game called Playmaker Football- loved it & played it almost obsessively- but it doesn't run properly in OS X.

And now I'm thinking about upgrading to a new Mac in the next few months, and I was wondering if there was anything out there that was similar.

In some ways, Playmaker Football was like earlier versions of Madden, but it
featured:

1) Top down view of gridiron
2) Lots of control over player type (see 4, below)
3) Full control over player stats
4) Roster big enough to include subs at skills positions on O and most positions on D. You could also do certain subs like kicker for QB and back for trick plays and special formations.
5) Nearly full control over play design. You couldn't do men in motion or do anything as whacky as line your QB up as a WR, but you could do just about anything else. D players could play man or zone (size & shape determined by you), and line up head up, shade outside or shade inside. O players had a variety of blocking styles, and you could precisely control your skill players' routes down to a few pixels. You also had a practice field in which you could test your plays before saving them to your team's playbook.
6) Create as many teams as you want.
7) Strategic, coaching level game with players controlled by computer. You could override it and control the active (ball possessing) character, but I preferred not to. My kick was calling the plays and seeing the results, just like a real coach.
8) If you wanted to, you could use the game's AI system to prioritize the plays you designed by situation (down & distance, location on the field) so that you could actually pick 2 teams and have them play the game under computer control the whole way.

Is there anything out there for the Mac these days?

Remove ads