Computers beat up my role player

Drowbane said:
How is that remotely "munchkiny".

It goes against role-playing.

Just like Inigo Montoya's fighting training was clearly just munchkinism and had nothing to do with character concept.

sarcasm/

Seriously, there's nothing wrong with that. It's not like he was advocation "creative misinterpretation" of the rules or raiding poorly balanced splatbooks.

Glyfair

Explorer
Kae'Yoss said:
Oh, and for a moment I thought it was me. But then again the quote lacked the "... but I especially like stabbing fellow players in the back."
Crothian said:
I think that part of the quote is just assumed

I'm not so sure. From many of the stories in the various "From the Sorcerer's Scroll" columns I get the impression that they were quite fond of solo adventuring in those days. No "fellow players" to backstab.

I wonder if this was partially because once they reached higher levels there weren't many other PCs to adventure together. Combine that with the difficulty in getting a group together, and how common cohorts and hirelings were and you get a lot of solo adventuring.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Drowbane said:
How is that remotely "munchkiny".

Because of the everything part. That includes cheating, extorting the DM, using loaded dice, bribing the DM with money, expensive gifts or sexual favours, and so on :p

Glyfair said:
I'm not so sure. From many of the stories in the various "From the Sorcerer's Scroll" columns I get the impression that they were quite fond of solo adventuring in those days. No "fellow players" to backstab.

I wonder if this was partially because once they reached higher levels there weren't many other PCs to adventure together. Combine that with the difficulty in getting a group together, and how common cohorts and hirelings were and you get a lot of solo adventuring.

I think it was because once he stabbed them all in the back, they were too dead to join any adventures. ;)

VirgilCaine

First Post
Kae'Yoss said:
I think it was because once he stabbed them all in the back, they were too dead to join any adventures. ;)

Sounds like the D&D version of the movie Buried Alive. Except I'd do it cheaper, grindhouse style.
"He betrayed their trust... Now they're back... He killed them for the money... and now he's going to choke on it!

Numion

First Post
RFisher said:
What is ironic about it?

Many people consider 3E to be catering to powergamers and be the source of decline in roleplaying, so it's kinda ironic that the creater of D&D fits that bill too.

Henry

Autoexreginated
In Forge and Robin Laws-terminology, Gary comes off to me as one of the more "role-play lite" gamers out there. He's in it for the fun, if in-character banter happens, then great, but having fun with it, whether it be puns, crazy traps, deus-ex-machina-yet cool situations, etc. is the primary focus. It's why I like him so much - this very thing influenced my and my friends' play as we were growing up. We had the stupid names and jokes, the power-gamed characters who carried everything from pouches of black pepper to throw off trackers to cut-off medusa heads on sticks to scare monsters with, etc. And if our characters started a game buck naked in the bottom of the Dungeons of the Slave Lords, then that was cool too - we'd never done it before! :)

Numion

First Post
Flexor the Mighty! said:
That's what I was thinking.

I'd rather characterize it as powergaming, even though munchkins and powergamers both seek to maximize power. They are differentiated by that munchkinism is only found where it's enabled by an incompetent DM. Powergamers operate within the rules, while munchkins seek to bend them to their advantage (and silliness).

Remove ads