• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Computers beat up my role player

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
diaglo said:
i again submit that one need only look at Supplement I Greyhawk(1975) as the proof to why stats became so important.

3d6 in order
str
int
wis
con
dex
cha
d6 for hps
0 hps = dead

diaglo "grousing about a game he still plays" Ooi
As a FWIW...

These days I give a +1 for any stat over 15--no higher bonus, although fighters get +1 added to hit and to damage rather than just +1 to hit for Str. Thus 15+ Int or Wis allows an m-u an additional 1st level spell, a 1st level cleric a spell immediately.

The PC gets 1 negative HP per level and can survive, so a 1st level is dead only at -2, a 2nd an-3, etc.

And, BTW, I allow elves and halflings to to be stealthy, make a roll vs. Dex. to succeed in a normal use of stalth situation. Dwarves are just dwarves, as i couldn't think of anything special for them that was not already given.

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gentlegamer said:
Since in some ways this has become a branch-out of the Q&A thread, I'll ask Gary:

Did you like that Ability Scores had become so important? Did you have any plans to reduce their importance?
Actually, I found the importance of stats to help differentiate PCs, particularly of the same class, and to facilitate a bit more in-character play.

I was not planning on reducing stat benefits or drawbacks, but I was intending to apply them to a number of monsters other than human NPCs--much as Int affected dragons' spells.

All water under the old bridge now...

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Billd91,

Do not overlook the rather considerable possibility of loss of magic items due to various attack forms, their failing to save, as well as areas of annti-magic sort where all gornished without a chance of a save. No magic item construction was encouraged, one could not normally buy them, and they were gained only at peril of confronting and defeating an adversary. My players were always short in one department or another...and they had no superheroic capacities to fall back on either.

Another FWIW: Every party of new D&D players that have adventured in the first level of my initial Castle Greyhawk as 2nd level OD&D PCs did miserably, most being TPKs (around 8 out of 12 total, all but one group losing c. half of their party) because they did not understand the concept of not engaging in combat with a foe that they were unlikelt to defeat, so instead of running away, they stood and fought until it was too late to flee. I must express a certain amount of DMly satisfaction, though, because the great number of PCs defeats have engendered the Old Guard Kobolds as new adversaries to encounter :lol:

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Halivar said:
Finally! I can play a paladin!

Just kidding... sort of. This seems like a good rolling mechanism for gestalt campaigns.
As a matter of fact, that is how many players felt about the system.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Flexor the Mighty! said:
This thread should probably be abandoned for non-related questions and move back to the official EGG thread.
That is sound advice. I'll try to keep any further responses I make on tioic.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Halivar said:
I don't know... I can see OSRIC 2.0: The Pladoh Edition.

It could work.
Many a true minchkin would be bewailing the fate of his PC due to "infairness"...such as opponents tougher than the PC party and requiring consideration and thought before undertaking something obviously very dangerous.

:lol:
Gary

Scribble

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Many a true minchkin would be bewailing the fate of his PC due to "infairness"...such as opponents tougher than the PC party and requiring consideration and thought before undertaking something obviously very dangerous.

Gary

That ain't how we roll in America baby! ;)

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Col_Pladoh said:

Gary

No matter the game, powergaming munchkins always whine when they can't just overpower their foes.

Dromdol

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
As to the matter of what is and isn't role-playing, it seems clear that those that suppose that a crpG is an RPG are confusing role-assumption with role-playing.

When one role-plays it must be to an audience that will be able to respond in some fashion to that acting.

When one engages in a RP Game, then the audience must react in game, respond to the actor, the acting by the player being activity that has an impact on the game's direction and the environment within which it is set. Simply put, there must needs be a a Game Master able to interact with the player or players so as to have valid role-play activity.

I am willing to accept your definition without qualification, however, I don't believe that it follows that MMORPGs are excluded in some way by your definition. Let's track your defining characteristics along with a play experience in an MMORPG (specifically mine, I'll use Lineage 2 as my reference point).

1) When one role-plays it must be to an audience that will be able to respond in some fashion to that acting.

While playing L2, I was an actor with a clear audience. My choices impacted not only myself, but those who were identified by guild tag as my allies. The audience had full range of response, including exclusion/inclusion from grouping, escalating all the way to declarations of inter-guild warfare. Leveling and high quality treasure zones were immensely contested, diplomacy was heated, and wars over prime territory were bitter and vicious. On the positive side, alliances were forged, friendships made, and cross-cultural communication made possible by a strange pidgin language. It meets your criteria as having actors and audience.

2) When one engages in a RP Game, then the audience must react in game...

This was quite so. Attempts to proceed on contested territory provoked a variety of responses - demands for payment, diplomacy, hostility, friendship, anger, all played out within the game both via chat and by direct action.

3) ...respond to the actor, the acting by the player being activity that has an impact on the game's direction...

Definitely present. A single person's actions often had a direct impact on the playing style and tone of the game. Castle's are capturable, city taxes variable based on ownership, leveling grounds "closable". Death is punitive and harsh, sometimes involving massive loss of experience, and running the risk of item destruction, representing hours of in-game investment. Diplomacy was a much better option than hostility in many cases, to avoid the penalties that rash behaviour could provoke. This lead to a shifting set of alliances that could turn and bite at any moment. You might think you knew your allies...

4) ...and the environment within which it is set.

The ability to control territories and zones, to impose taxation, to eliminate player competitions, all seem to me to be indicative of the ability to mold the environment. I'm not sure how many people play L2 these days (I've moved on), but certainly at it's heyday it had several million subscribers. With 3-4 thousand persons per world, there was ample opportunity to interact with other people as actor and as audience with direct, immediate impact on play-style and gameplay. There were people roleplaying thugs and villains, heroes and champions, leaders, and spies, and double-dealers, and assassins, diplomats, and liars...

Doesn't this match your definition of Roleplaying? If not, why not?

All MMORPGs have these qualities to some degree or another, and the person on the other side of that avatar IS your audience, and you ARE the actor. The roles are fluid, with everyone acting and participating in the audience simultaneously. Is it really the limitation that people must talk like Renaissance Faire rejects to roleplay? I mean, I don't summon demons, but I play a warlock in WoW, and other people react to my actions in meaningful ways. How is that less "roleplaying" than if I were at a table with them with a bowl of cheerios and a slice of cold pizza? Don't get me wrong, I like both, and I wouldn't give up the one for the other. I also know that important differences do exist, I just think that denying they meet your definition of "roleplaying" is forcing a false dichotomy.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads