• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CON-based abilities when undead

DwarvenDog

Explorer
If a monstrous humanoid with a CON-based special ability (say, poison) becomes a vampire, does that ability remain CON-based (no modifier) or does it become CHA-based?

I am spinning my wheels at finding a specific rule for this, and would appreciate any help in tracking one down.

thanks in advance!

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
DwarvenDog said:
If a monstrous humanoid with a CON-based special ability (say, poison) becomes a vampire, does that ability remain CON-based (no modifier) or does it become CHA-based?

It has a modifier, but it's +0.

Undead only use Cha when it specifically says so.

-Hyp.

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
On Page 300 of the Monster manual, under Calculating Saving Throw DCs, you'll find the information you are looking for.

Monster Manual said:
Also use Charisma for any DC that normally would be based on an ability score the creature does not have. For example, undead creatures have no Constitution score, so any poison attacks they have would use Charisma to determine the save DC.

Edit: The same would go for Breath Weapons, too (also a Con-based DC). Really great for undead dragons! :]

Last edited:

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Oversights happen to the best us, I guess. :D :)

It would be a lot easier if it was spelled out in the Undead description, though. Or the non-abilities section. Ah, well. :)

Remove ads