• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Con-Int Tieflings

On Puget Sound

First Post
What are the ramifications of houseruling tieflings to get bonuses to Con and Int instead of Int and Cha?

On the plus side,
a) there is not currently a con-int race (githyanki not being a player race). Gnomes and some changelings are int-cha
b) tieflings can finally be the supreme infernal warlocks their back-story demands, and quit playing around with those sissy fey.
c) as wizards they will favor staff wizard or summoner, and leave the illusionist role to the gnomes. This seems right to me.
d) they make better swordmages and artificers now, though a bit worse at bard.

I think tiefling stats were picked to fill a spot in PHB1, the magical trickster role. But now the original owners of that role, the gnomes, are back.

What feats, roles or powers would be either broken or nerfed in this change? What other changes might also be required?

eamon

Explorer
Probably, it'll be just fine. However, tieflings do get a bunch of racial support for the whole infernal warlock thing, and that in combination with a Con+Int bonus may be a bit much.

Then again, I'm positive it won't be enough to actually cause a major imbalance. At worst, it's minor.

Blackbrrd

First Post
Warlock isn't exactly overpowered
Tiefling isn't exactly overpowered

I say go ahead and make it an option for tieflings in your campaign.
I did something similar, but made them Str/Int.

DreamChaser

Explorer
It basically says, "if you play infernlock, play a tiefling or you'll suck in all ways imaginable" which will lead to typecasting amongst many players.

Also, it don't know how well it fits in with the backstory of the tieflings: they bound themselves with devils...not demons. Devils are clevery and corrupting as opposed to demons who are tough and destructive. If the backstory were changed to link them with demons, con / int or con / cha would make more sense.

DC

Nifft

Penguin Herder
If you allow Con/Int Tieflings, remove the feat Hellfire Blood from the game. It exists to compensate for their otherwise lackluster Con.

Cheers, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads