CONAN Is Finally Here!

After appearing three years running in the 10 Most Anticipated RPGs of the Year list, it seems that Conan's streak has come to and end - because Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of has been released! You can get it right now from Modiphius' web store, and will be able to get it elsewhere from tomorrow. PDF only, for the moment. You can also grab a book of six adventures, Jewelled Thrones of the Earth. Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed of is based on Modiphius' own 2d20 system (which also powers their upcoming Star Trek Adventures game). The book is now available for review in the reviews area.

After appearing three years running in the 10 Most Anticipated RPGs of the Year list, it seems that Conan's streak has come to and end - because Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of has been released! You can get it right now from Modiphius' web store, and will be able to get it elsewhere from tomorrow. PDF only, for the moment. You can also grab a book of six adventures, Jewelled Thrones of the Earth. Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed of is based on Modiphius' own 2d20 system (which also powers their upcoming Star Trek Adventures game). The book is now available for review in the reviews area.

5_conan.jpeg

JTotE-Cover-Mock-Up.jpeg

SaveSave

slygeek

Explorer
The same can be said about a character that puts all his points in Social abilities though. That character will effectively blow through just about any social encounter. Some players like to excel at a couple of things and be weak at others. I have two players like that, and they love to roleplay there weaknesses as much as they like their strengths.

I don't know if there is a system about there that can completely prevent that.

I also don't think if its as complete overkill then a bear totem barbarian. It is, as Caliburn101 pointed out, much more 'expensive' to make a super build like that then it is in games like D&D.

Also, The difference is in 2d20, all stats contribute to something, its not as easy to just rely on one stat as it is in D&D. For instance, a good archer needs coordination, awareness and agility (not just Dexterity). And a capable warrior needs brawn, agility and coordination (not just Strength).

ced1106

Explorer
I didn't read the entire thread, but I did read the Quickstart and am reading the core book. The "core" of the core mechanics is still rolling against a skill-based target number for successes, and most difficulty checks only require one success. If you need three successes, the game has Teamwork rules. An experienced GM should have no problems with scraping away the Doom (and Momentum) mechanics. I like them because I like having cinematic fluff have game effects, but, if you don't, you can still cut out the meta stuff. The Quickstart link has been posted a few times, but here it is again: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/174829/Robert-E-Howards-CONAN-Roleplaying-Game-Quickstart

Salamandyr

Adventurer
Question only tangential related to the DOOM! mechanics, how do you feel this game encourages a spirit of muscular sword & sorcery fantasy?

What statement seems right?

"This game makes me feel like we've stepped right out of a Frazetta painting"

"This game makes me feel like we're in the midst of one of Howard's stories"

"This game reminds me of the old Marvel Conan comics"

"This game feels like an episode of Xena Warrior Princess"

"This game is one dwarf away from being just another D&D clone"

As I've found trying to run a savage 5e D&D game, it's not the mechanics that are often the stumbling block, but the huge chunks of trade dress and assumptions that go along with a game that provide the greatest obstacle.

Caliburn101

Explorer
"This game makes me feel like we're in the midst of one of Howard's stories"

Frazetta whilst amazing visually is actually a little pastiche... the game facilitates your GM and the players creating the feel of stories perfectly well.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads