CONAN Is Finally Here!

After appearing three years running in the 10 Most Anticipated RPGs of the Year list, it seems that Conan's streak has come to and end - because Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of has been released! You can get it right now from Modiphius' web store, and will be able to get it elsewhere from tomorrow. PDF only, for the moment. You can also grab a book of six adventures, Jewelled Thrones of the Earth. Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed of is based on Modiphius' own 2d20 system (which also powers their upcoming Star Trek Adventures game). The book is now available for review in the reviews area.

After appearing three years running in the 10 Most Anticipated RPGs of the Year list, it seems that Conan's streak has come to and end - because Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of has been released! You can get it right now from Modiphius' web store, and will be able to get it elsewhere from tomorrow. PDF only, for the moment. You can also grab a book of six adventures, Jewelled Thrones of the Earth. Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed of is based on Modiphius' own 2d20 system (which also powers their upcoming Star Trek Adventures game). The book is now available for review in the reviews area.

5_conan.jpeg

JTotE-Cover-Mock-Up.jpeg

SaveSave

dpmcalister

Explorer
Is it just me or is the body of "Conan" on the cover of Jeweled Thrones of the Earth twisted too much? He looks like he's just done himself a serious injury!

Barantor

Explorer
Is it just me or is the body of "Conan" on the cover of Jeweled Thrones of the Earth twisted too much? He looks like he's just done himself a serious injury!

Conan is as agile as a panther, he only injures those who oppose him!

It seems like in Jeweled Thrones, he should be doing a Slash attack by the contortion of his body, but it looks more like an impale?

Conan is as strong as a lion, his hit has nearly cut his foe in twain!

fangdelicious

First Post
So does anyone have the product? I'm curious about the system.

It's basically a dice pool mechanic with d20s. Whenever you make a test you roll 2d20s and have to get under the Target number which is Attribute+Skill. You can get more dice with skills and talents and less dice with hardships. If you get more successes than you needed, they become Momentum and you can save them and use them later for other effects.
Damage is rolled with d6s, which they have special dice for or a table to determine what the result is. 1-2 = damage, 3-4 is blank and 5-6 gives you damage plus an effect. Character creation is a simple (/s) 10 step process, which I found to not be intuitive for me and overly complicated.
There are rules for putting on displays of might or power to intimidate foes.
There are rules for being a sorcerer as well, with spells and such.

Of course there's a section about the world and a chapter with NPCs and a starting adventure in the book.

It doesn't seem like my cup of tea personally because I am not a fan of dice pools and crunchy mechanics, so I'm not sure if I will play this system anytime soon. The art and layout are cool though.

I did a brief write up of my first read through the rules here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/5r8b87/by_crom_conan_rpg_is_finally_released/

Last edited by a moderator:

Gadget

Adventurer

It is a tribute to the cover of the AD&D Players Handbook (1st or 2nd Edition) where the fighter is 'hip-checking' the door down with a similar twist. :)

imagineGod

Legend
I am most excited by Robert E. Howard's Conan from Modiphius because it continues expanding the innovative 2d20 system, my favorite game mechanic nowadays, that allows players to buy more dice for re-rolls, thus, encouraging epic encounters.

Plus, though the rules differ and scale down in difficulty (from Mutant Chronicles to John Carter of Mars), all of the games make use of the same core two d20 dice with Momentum, so once you understand one ruleset you can easily adapt to play the others too.

2d20 Games
Mutant Chronicles (the first of the set),
Corvus Belli Infinity,
Robert E. Howard's Conan,
Star Trek Adventures,
John Carter of Mars

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads