• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Conan RPG - What do I need?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Emirikol said:
Most players want ...

...to not have to put up with you stereotyping them. Dude, you know broad and vaguely insulting generalizations are bad mojo around here. Please get rid of it, or I'll have to do it for you.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
For the most part, you really just need the core rulebook (the Atlantean Edition is the 2nd printing with the typos fixed). The Scrolls of Skelos fills in the magic system a bit (and probably should have been in the core book), but only super-useful if you have magicial characters. The Road of Kings is like an expanded overview of the Hyperborian age.

Honestly, I've got a few of their other supplements, and most of them were pretty bad. Especially Shadizar. I really wondered how a city could have a map from another product, because usually an artist has to draw a map according to the authors descriptions of it. But silly me, it's because the city is only described very vaguely...

Part of the trouble with doing Conan right is that no one can seem to agree on what the flavor of Conan should be. Some think it should be super-gritty, uber realist, while others think it should be more cinematic.

The trouble is, both are true, in the stories. I mean, on the one hand, Conan kills 2 demi-gods (or at least frost giants) with little effort when he was a teenager (18-19, I think), and later on survives being crucified. On the other hand, at times he's been knocked out by a rock.

I think for the most part, the Mongoose RPG does a good job though.

Crust

First Post
Thanks for the responses, folks. Much appreciated. I'll look into all of the books mentioned.

As for Mr. Howard, the one-and-only reason I want to game in Hyborea is because of Howard's work. I just finished the three Conan volumes (Coming of Conan of Cimmeria, etc.). I was totally blown away. I'm reading Savage Tales of Solomon Kane now, and even those are incredible. Bran Mak Morn and Kull are next, and I then plan on moving on to his other western, horror, and boxing stories. He has become one of favorite authors.

In fact, I hope to be able to draw campaigns out of Howard's work and nothing else, taking PCs on a myriad of adventures that don't necessarily link up as a normal campaign arc might (like AoW or STAP). That way, should a PC get his back broken by some anthropomorphic horror or have his skull split to the teeth by some Kushite dog, that player can just roll up another PC for the next relatively unrelated adventure. :D

I haven't read anything after Howard aside from a pile of Savage Sword of Conan and Conan Saga comic/magazines as a kid. I don't have the time (or the overwhelming desire) to read any Conan stories after Howard. I'm sure they're great and everything. There just aren't enough hours in the day for me to avoid partial ignorance. ;)

And yes, I definitely must have the coffee table book. It'll make a stunning addition to my small collection. I also like the graphic novel adaptations.

Last edited:

Jim Hague

First Post
Crust said:
Thanks for the responses, folks. Much appreciated. I'll look into all of the books mentioned.

As for Mr. Howard, the one-and-only reason I want to game in Hyborea is because of Howard's work. I just finished the three Conan volumes (Coming of Conan of Cimmeria, etc.). I was totally blown away. I'm reading Savage Tales of Solomon Kane now, and even those are incredible. Bran Mak Morn and Kull are next, and I then plan on moving on to his other western, horror, and boxing stories. He has become one of favorite authors.

I know I'll draw fire from the tolkien folks here, but I really, really consider REH to be a far superior fantasist to JRRT or Moorcock. Conan grabbed me story-wise in ways the works of those two never have.

In fact, I hope to be able to draw campaigns out of Howard's work and nothing else, taking PCs on a myriad of adventures that don't necessarily link up as a normal campaign arc might (like AoW or STAP). That way, should a PC get his back broken by some anthropomorphic horror or have his skull split to the teeth by some Kushite dog, that player can just roll up another PC for the next relatively unrelated adventure. ;)

I haven't read anything after Howard aside from a pile of Savage Sword of Conan and Conan Saga comic/magazines as a kid. I don't have the time (or the overwhelming desire) to read any Conan stories after Howard. I'm sure they're great and everything. There just aren't enough hours in the day for me to avoid partial ignorance. ;)

And yes, I definitely must have the coffee table book. It'll make a stunning addition to my small collection. I also like the graphic novel adaptations.

Don't discount the pastiche stuff so quickly! REH is the master as far as the character and Hyboria goes, but there's gems amidst the other stuff. Frankly, Ultimate Conan is worth picking up because it seamlessly merges a lot of different stuff - REH, pastiche, even some of the comics - into a coherent whole.

I also highly reccommend picking up the current Dark Horse series - it's got the perfect framing device for merging the various authors, and it's Howard's style all the way. Incredible stuff. Especially the REH tribute issue where REH shows up (after a fashion) to aid the mighty barbarian against a horde of filthy demons from the Outer Dark...

ivocaliban

First Post
Crust said:
Me, too! Except I'm only on the second Conan volume, The Conquering Sword of Conan. (Thank you Ballantine Books/DelRey!) Solomon Kane, Bran Mak Morn and Kull are also sitting on the shelf just waiting for me. (Thank you, SFBC!) I'm probably going to draw the line there, but I'm definitely inspired to run a campaign. I'm glad this thread came along because the question has been lingering in the back of my mind for some time now. I think I'll wait for the 2nd edition as everyone seems to suggest.

Crust said:
In fact, I hope to be able to draw campaigns out of Howard's work and nothing else, taking PCs on a myriad of adventures that don't necessarily link up as a normal campaign arc might (like AoW or STAP). That way, should a PC get his back broken by some anthropomorphic horror or have his skull split to the teeth by some Kushite dog, that player can just roll up another PC for the next relatively unrelated adventure. :D
I want to play in your game! I'd really enjoy that sort of campaign.

Last edited:

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Jim Hague said:
Don't discount the pastiche stuff so quickly! REH is the master as far as the character and Hyboria goes, but there's gems amidst the other stuff.

I'm going to draw fire for this, but--although I am lukewarm on his Wheel of Time--I think Robert Jordan has dome some pretty great work in the Conan franchise.

I also highly reccommend picking up the current Dark Horse series - it's got the perfect framing device for merging the various authors, and it's Howard's style all the way...

I hear you, and I love the Conan books in general, but what brought me into the character way, way back in the day was a long-running (now defunct) magazine called Savage Sword of Conan.

For whatever reason they are basically worth nothing now, if you go to aComic Shop you will likley be able to pick them up for about a buck apiece. they are great inspiration for a Conan game: bleak, bloody, amoral and fun :)

The art (usually by a dude named Ernie Chan) is uniformly great and inspiring.

Jim Hague

First Post
Teflon Billy said:
I'm going to draw fire for this, but--although I am lukewarm on his Wheel of Time--I think Robert Jordan has dome some pretty great work in the Conan franchise.

I actually like the Jordan stuff better than L. Sprague's work or Lin Carter's (*grr*).

I hear you, and I love the Conan books in general, but what brought me into the character way, way back in the day was a long-running (now defunct) magazine called Savage Sword of Conan.

For whatever reason they are basically worth nothing now, if you go to aComic Shop you will likley be able to pick them up for about a buck apiece. they are great inspiration for a Conan game: bleak, bloody, amoral and fun :)

The art (usually by a dude named Ernie Chan) is uniformly great and inspiring.

Oh, I've got a friend that has a complete run of them. Wasn't real fond of a lot of the changes they made to the REH stories sometimes, but it's good stuff.

Y'know, it occurs that you could take the swank Combat Manuvers (easily one of the best bits of the Mongoose RPG) and incorporate them fairly seamlessly into True20...which is a lot deadlier than even Grim Tales.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Jim Hague said:
I actually like the Jordan stuff better than L. Sprague's work or Lin Carter's (*grr*).

By a mile.

I'm not sure yet why they felt it necessary to re-write Black Collossus into The Treasure of Tranicos ...I mean, at best it was a slightly worse re-telling, but parts of it are just awful.

Oh, I've got a friend that has a complete run of them. Wasn't real fond of a lot of the changes they made to the REH stories sometimes, but it's good stuff.

Like I say, at the time I was completely unaware of the source material, so I judged them on their own merits.

But upon re-reading the 60 or so tht I have, the writers of Savage Sword clearly cared about the character. I mean there are time when Conan thinks about Belit, and is sad (without any expository explanation), and they never make up "whole cloth" minor players when the books can provide them (Juma the Kushite, Count Trocero, General Prospero, Zenobia and numerous others make regular appearances in the magazines)...I mean, given what I kind of expect from Marvel Comics--or really anyone--in regards to "trueness" to source material it's practically a tour de force.

ivocaliban

First Post
Jim Hague said:
I know I'll draw fire from the tolkien folks here, but I really, really consider REH to be a far superior fantasist to JRRT or Moorcock. Conan grabbed me story-wise in ways the works of those two never have.

Howard's style is much more episodic and cinematic than Tolkien's. Tolkien's work unfolds slowly (like an Ent :p), while Howard's leaps into the middle of things (like, um...Conan). Tokien chronicles and recounts, Howard spins a yarn. If both were bards I'd say Tolkien would follow Oghma (FR), Howard would follow Olidammara. I love them both, but I can certainly understand why people might prefer one to the other.

Crust

First Post
I love Tolkien, but I must say that though I might savor Tolkien's writing, literally gorged myself on Howard's writing.

Teflon Billy said:

YES! Savage Sword of Conan and Conan Saga were necessary subscriptions for me back when I was 13/14. They were incredible. I gave my collection to a buddy of mine, and he subsequently lost it. :( It stands as one of my deepest regrets to this day (though I did gain the complete set of '92 D&D trading cards as a result... not a bad trade). ;)

I remember one issue of Savage in particular:

Conan was being led through a swamp by a gang of slavers, chained, grim-faced, eyes a volcanic blue (well, black, I suppose... couldn't resist ;) ). The team came upon the run-down house of an old hag who portended doom to come. The slavers callously murdered her and everyone holed up for the night in her home. Soon, a pack of, yes, anthropomorphic beasts assailed the house, breaking through barricades to set about slaughtering the slavers.

Conan looked to a bearded, middle-aged slaver and bid him release his manacles so that he might lend his arm to the defense of the home. The slaver acquiesced, though neglected to give the Cimmerian a weapon. Amidst the chaos, Conan eyed his tool of death-dealing leaning against a nearby table: an iron warhammer.

The next several pages consisted of Conan caving in the skulls of countless feral apes, teeth and brains flying. It was glorious. Of course, most if not all of the slavers were horribly mutilated and killed, but Conan was undaunted.

When the screams died and the barbarian could rest his arms, he exited the house to find the bearded slaver who released him lying on the ground wounded. The slaver extended a hand for aid... and Conan ploughed his hammer into the slaver's skull.

:D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads