• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Conan RPG - What do I need?

replicant2

First Post
ColonelHardisson said:
Same here. I find Howard's work bright, energetic, two-fisted, and the epitome of purple prose. It's lush and dreamy at times, and keen and quick as a sword-stroke at other times. Tolkien's writing is erudite and cleanly elegant, and has a certain weight to it, gravitas, that the great myths and epics have. Both writers' styles are very different, but both are supremely readable.

I wouldn't say one is a better writer than the other. Howard has a natural ability, a kind of raw talent, that leaps off the page as if alive. Tolkien has the stately bearing of a scholar, supremely comfortable with the language and capable of creating great wonders with it. Howard's action scenes are like whirlwinds, where Tolkien's action scenes are like a richly detailed painting one can only catch a few beathless glimpses of in passing.

I like your thinking, very well thought-out and I would agree.

Nyaricus

First Post
replicant2 said:
I like your thinking, very well thought-out and I would agree.
I will be the first to second that. I have yet to get some REH, but man, reading that is gonna force me to order me a box set, or somehting :p;)

Turjan said:
I think that's a good choice. That's exactly what I have :).
Good to hear :) I'm really not that familiar with REH and Conan, but I'm highly interested in the grim adn the gritty, and realism, so I'm intrigued to fun some Conan for my players someday soon :D

cheers,
--N

TheAuldGrump

First Post
And whatever you do, don't run by what is shown in the movies! :p

Some non-Conan material that you may find handy is in 'Cthulhu; The Mythos & Kindred Horrors'. A book of Howard's Cthulhu Mythos stories. There is actually a slight overlap between the Cthulhu Mythos and Conan, both in Howard's works and in Lovecraft's. (The two were friends, and borrowed from and acknowledged each other's writings.)

The Auld Grump

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads