• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Concentration; Combat Techniques [Simple Version added]

green slime

First Post
IMO, its too complicated, and not good enough. Its complicated because it produces another layer of interfacing over what stacks with which, and over several rounds. WHich people aren't going to remember.

Why would a high level fighter give up all their attacks over two rounds, to only get +5 to hit and double damage? And that is only if they succeed with three increasingly difficult Concentration checks? Maybe they should just power attack away, and kill the creature over three rounds anyway, doing more damage in the process?

It may be useful for a low level fighter (pre 6th), who needs to up his chance of hitting.

Other than that case, I can't see it getting used.

Storyteller01

First Post
Might not be what you're after, but check out the Complete Guide to Rakshasa from Goodman Games. They have a class in the book called the yogi. It uses the bard as a template, with different abilities based off of your level and ranks in concentration. It is a divine caster, so you have to prep spells in adevance. It DOES allow you to spontaneously cast any spell on your list (must be 2 levels lower than the spell slot used) with a good Concentration check.

It even has feats that may be worth while. The austerities allow you to make Concentration checks when you take a hit from particular attacks, negating part of the damage.

Land Outcast

Explorer
Sounds interesting really, I've always wanted to make use of concentration as something other than Casting Defensively.

Sadly, I won't be able to obtain the book... :(

Which doesn't mean I won't try and create something of my own devising :heh:

Siberys

Adventurer
I liked this system, but it proves far too complicated. I made one that, IMO, does the same thing, but is more streamlined. There're even some feats in there.

Concentration

Concentration is now based on Wisdom instead of Constitution.

Techniques

Techniques may not be used in conjunction with feats or abilities like Power Attack or Combat Expertise.

Base DC = 10

For each +2 increase in DC, add either;

• +1 AC,
  • +1 Attack Roll
    OR
  • +1 Damage

For each additional +4 to DC, add either;

• +1 to Crit Range
    OR
  • +1 to Crit Multiplier

Multi-Round Techniques

Multi-Round Techniques can be made. For each round spent building up to a technique, the DC decreases by two. During those buildup rounds, you may perform no other action.

You may Move during a buildup if you make a DC 15 Concentration Check.

Notes

If you are distracted while performing a technique, you must make a concentration check. See PHB p. 70

Action: Standard. Techniques may be made as part of a full attack, but you may only attack once if that is the case.

Try Again:
No

Martial Lore (New Uses; see ToB)
Allows you to discern the technique being carried out by any combatant, if he is carrying out any. DC = 15 + (Number of Standard Actions the technique consumes)

Allows you to make an opposed check whenever someone tries to tumble through your threatened area, If you win the result, you can take AoOs as normal.

You can choose to use your ranks in Martial Lore instead of Sense Motive when making an opposed check when someone is attempting a Feint.

Mobile Tactician
Prerequisites: Concentration 8 ranks
Benefit: You may take a ten on Concentration Checks when attempting to move during a buildup.
Special: A Fighter may take this as a Fighter Bonus Feat

Tactical Focus
Prerequisite: Concentration 4 ranks
Benefit: You gain a +2 bonus on all Concentration checks pertaining to techniques. Additionally, choose any benefit available when using the tactics function of Concentration. You gain an additional +1 bonus to the check when attempting a technique involving that benefit
Special: A Fighter may take this as a Fighter Bonus Feat. You may take this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take this feat, choose another technique effect.

Nonstandard Tactics
Benefit: Choose one Ability Score. You may now use that score in place of Wisdom when making Concentration Checks relating to techniques.
Special: A Fighter may take this as a Fighter Bonus Feat

cheers,
Siberys

Last edited:

Land Outcast

Explorer
Leonardo DaVinci said:
Simplification is the ultimate form of sophistication.
Kudos for proposing a simple and interesting system over my awfully complicated one, and thanks for digging it out after so much time :)

Siberys

Adventurer
Glad to help!

I loved the idea, but couldn't make sense of some of the stuff. So I opted to super-simplify! :D

Anyway, I've had an idea - Feats that allow alternate bonuses to be available. For example, one that allows you to grant yourself one point of DR for every +4 increase in DC, and another that gives you regeneration, or temporary hit points that last one round, or psonic focus, or PP, or essentia, etc. Any ideas?

cheers,
Siberys

Land Outcast

Explorer
Anyway, I've had an idea - Feats that allow alternate bonuses to be available. For example, one that allows you to grant yourself one point of DR for every +4 increase in DC, and another that gives you regeneration, or temporary hit points that last one round, or psonic focus, or PP, or essentia, etc. Any ideas?
Actually, that's an excellent idea by itself, tailoring around as wanted (DR, Fast Healing, Temporary hp, bonus on Will saves, bonus on Fort saves, bonus on Ref saves...)

Important to differentiate the types of bonus provided (insight?)...

Stalker0

Legend
Question, is it a free action to use the base DC techniques, and how often do they apply? For example does the bonus to attacks last for 1 attack, 1 round, etc.

It is simple, quick and streamlined, I like that. Not sure how good the scale is.

For example, I have a 14th level monk currently, and for roleplaying reason I near maxed out concentration, so now I have +14 overall. By your system, that gives me an automatic +2 to my AC, or +2 to my attacks, or +2 to my damage every round. That's very very useful. And of course, on average I will recieve +7...that's too good.

At 1st level, assuming a 14 wisdom monk, he could have +6 to his concentration. That's on average a +3 to attacks, AC, or damage, way too high for 1st level.

What you may want to do is increase the scale. For example, +4 per bonus. So a +1 would be 14, +2 18, +3 22, etc. The main problem with that is it makes the math a little more difficult.

Edit: And I also agree that the bonuses should be insight.

Stalker0

Legend
Another option would be to limit the number fo times you can do techniques per day. Maybe per character level, ranks in concentration, etc. That way the sizable bonus isn't as big a deal, and it cuts down on the increased amount of rolling this mechanic will create.

Siberys

Adventurer
Stalker0 said:
Question, is it a free action to use the base DC techniques, and how often do they apply? For example does the bonus to attacks last for 1 attack, 1 round, etc.

The Action header covers the action part - Standard or Full Round. If made as a Standard action, you may also move, and "discharge" the next round, or make the roll and one attack. (I admit, my wording is sorta confusing there)

As for the duration, my intention was until "used" once, ending at the end of the next round regardless, though "Until Discharged" might work too... Of course, you can only hold one technique bonus at a time (a bit of clarification that needed to be made)

For example, I have a 14th level monk currently, and for roleplaying reason I near maxed out concentration, so now I have +14 overall. By your system, that gives me an automatic +2 to my AC, or +2 to my attacks, or +2 to my damage every round. That's very very useful. And of course, on average I will recieve +7...that's too good.

At 1st level, assuming a 14 wisdom monk, he could have +6 to his concentration. That's on average a +3 to attacks, AC, or damage, way too high for 1st level.

What you may want to do is increase the scale. For example, +4 per bonus. So a +1 would be 14, +2 18, +3 22, etc. The main problem with that is it makes the math a little more difficult.

Yeah, good point. I was doing this off the top of my head, so I didn't actually do any checks like this. What should the DC mod for more powerful abilities (like increasing Crit multiplier) be, then? +6 or +8?

Edit: And I also agree that the bonuses should be insight.

Yeah, it should be insight. Once we get some more of this figured out, and maybe some feats, I'll re-post a more complete version. Glad you all like it!

cheers,
Siberys

Remove ads