D&D 5E Concentration if GRABBED

maritimo80

First Post
A Wizard using a concentration spell (ex. banishment) if GRABBED, have to make a Concentration check to keep the Spell ??

A character that is grapped can use your reaction to give an opportunity to attack?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Yes. Or rather, I would say "Yes" because I don't know what the rules actually say. I haven't really delved into "Grapple" rules, if 5e even has them called out as such.

But the effect of "being grabbed" is the same as "being attacked". Someone has to roll a successful "hit" [probably with advantage (since you are busy Concentrating and not paying attention to avoiding them) to grab you.

So I say yes. It would require a Concentration check.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
RAW the answer is no. The only thing that forces a caster to make a concentration check is damage.
Concentration is immediately ended by the incapacitated condition (which is automatically included in the paralyzed, petrified, stunned and unconscious conditions).
Concentration immediately ends if the caster dies.
It also immediately ends if another concentration spell is cast.

Eejit

First Post
It's pretty straightforward if you read the rules...

Concentration checks are triggered by damage. Grappling alone doesn't cause damage. So no concentration check triggered.

Being grappled does not prevent any actions other than movement, as it sets the grappled creature's speed to zero. So yes, reactions are still permitted.

Agamon

Adventurer
A Wizard using a concentration spell (ex. banishment) if GRABBED, have to make a Concentration check to keep the Spell ??

When he is grabbed, he likely took damage, so yes, as usual. If he was somehow grabbed without taking damage or being physically jostled, then no.

A character that is grapped can use your reaction to give an opportunity to attack?

Yes. All the grabbed condition does is stop you from moving.

guachi

Hero
The actual ability "grapple" that can be used by players doesn't cause damage. It's not even an attack. So, no, it doesn't break concentration. It doesn't even prevent a caster from casting any spell.

RAW the answer is no. The only thing that forces a caster to make a concentration check is damage.
Concentration is immediately ended by the incapacitated condition (which is automatically included in the paralyzed, petrified, stunned and unconscious conditions).
Concentration immediately ends if the caster dies.
It also immediately ends if another concentration spell is cast.

To be honest there is wiggle room in the rules for Concentration that would allow a DM to require a check during Grappling if they chose to.

MrMyth

First Post
Keep in mind that the 'Grab' action in 5E isn't 'tackle someone in a wrestling hold' but rather 'grab someone's arm and hold them in place'. It stops someone from moving, but doesn't otherwise impede their actions.

Sure, you can go and add in more elements that can 'disrupt' a wizard's concentration. "He grabbed you - check concentration! You tripped and fell down - check concentration! The wind is blowing very strongly - check concentration!" But it seems a dangerous route to go down unless you want to eventually be forcing concentration checks from the standard chaos and clamor of combat.

The rules already have a pretty clear indicator of what breaks concentration, and at least in my mind, I don't see a need - either thematically or mechanically - to push it beyond what is already there.

Riley37

First Post
If someone hits a concentrating caster with a nerf sword, or with fire and the caster is immune to fire, or otherwise scores a hit but inflicts no damage, then the caster does not have to roll to maintain concentration.

However, a concentrating caster knocked down by an ocean wave can have to roll, and if someone Grapples a caster and *then* throws the caster prone, I would ask for a Concentration check. Not because they managed to get a hand on the caster for the Grappled condition, which is more or less "You aren't going anywhere!", but for actually throwing the caster off balance.

Remove ads