• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Concentration Question

Crothian

First Post
IceBear said:
Just to add fuel to the debate, in the d20 CoC book, they use the word "event". Here is the sentence:

"The interrupting event strikes during spellcasting if it comes between when you start and complete a spell (for a spell with a casting time of 1 full round or more) or if it comes in response to your casting the spell (such as a readied action)."

Now, to me an event is a single thing. Three hits by swords are three seperate things. Now, maybe you want to roll getting hit by three swords at roughly the same time (during the same Iniative count) as one event. I might do that too, but I think the intent of the rule was one roll per damaging event/attack.

IceBear

I have to agree. Even in the PHB is talks of everything in the single. One concentration roll for each hit. It makes more sense, totalling them all up would really make it tough for spellcasters.

Belares

First Post
Right, but as I've proven taking that literally will get you into trouble with spells with long casting times. Druid casting Call Lightning (10 minute casting time). As you say, it says ANY damage taken during the casting of the spell. So, if the druid on round 1 gets hit would you make them take a Concentration check then or 99 rounds later when the spell is finished. If you say in round 1, what happens if the druid gets hit again in round 2? You said you're supposed to make a check for ALL the damage you take while casting the spell. If you wait until the end of the 10 minutes then you could run into a situation where the spell was disrupted in round 1, but the druid had to wait 99 rounds to realize it. I think you would agree that you should have made the check in round 1.

You are sensible when you say that but according to the rules on damage taken over a period of time (ful round spell or more) you make the cocentration check during I think, well Here is the SRD explanation.

Injury: Getting hurt or being affected by hostile magic while trying to cast a spell can break the character's concentration and ruin a spell. If while trying to cast a spell the character takes damage, fail a saving throw, or are otherwise successfully assaulted, the character must make a Concentration check. The DC is 10 + points of damage taken + the level of the spell the character is casting. If the character fails the check, the character loses the spell without effect. The interrupting event strikes during spellcasting if it comes between when the character starts and completes a spell (for a spell with a casting time of 1 full round or more) or if it comes in response to the character casting the spell (such as an attack of opportunity provoked by the spell or a contingent attack, such as a readied action).

If the character is taking continuous damage, half the damage is considered to take place while the character is casting a spell. the character must make a Concentration check (DC 10 + one-half the damage that the continuous source last dealt + the level of the spell the character is casting). If the last damage dealt was the last damage that the effect could deal, then the damage is over, and it does not distract the character. Repeated damage, does not count as continuous damage.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads