• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Concerning Celene: Scyld's Story Hour (updated 2/27)

ScyldSceafing

First Post
OOC: So there's that

This brings us to the end of the first session, at long last.

Please note that I'm taking some license with the depiction of the combat - for example, several of the orcs are slain off-camera in this. Tankar and especially Eladkot were pretty impressive in the fight, using rocks, chains and grappling to deal with an enemy that probably would have slain them out of hand in a straight fight.

Wyn, on the other hand, stayed out of harm's way, opting to stay in cover and fire off arrows. Hey, it's what she's best at. The three PCs that attended the first session are now third level: Tankar is Clr3, Wyn Ftr2/Rgr1, and Eladkot Rog1/Wiz2. And Wyn's lost her shyness about breaking out the sword.

The fun's just beginning, though. Ahead, we've got a lost elven city, bunches of undead, and a run-in with a goblin raiding team on a training mission that ends a bit unexpectedly.

Wyn A'rienh

First Post
Well, well! Kerrick the All Powerful! *grins* Fancy finding you here.

*whispers*

I think that since we seem to have been abandoned by our dm, we should just take over and post whatever we want. What do you think?

How about in the second session, you and I encountered a whole mess of nasty undead and killed all of them just by wishing them dead. Er. I guess they're already dead, huh? *scratches her head* How do you kill something that's already dead?

Oh, I have so much to learn....

ScyldSceafing

First Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah

Well. What a lovely opportunity to meet the players. Wyn and Kerrick, well, they're listed above. Stockdale is Eladkot.

A change in my work schedule has blown my previous writing time all to hootenanny. That, and I'm super-extra-mega lazy.

I'll get everyone to Covenant hopefully before I head off for vacation next week. Mmmm ... vacation ...

ScyldSceafing

First Post
That's Mr. Bodkins to you

After a hand-span of fruitless searching, Foop decided that returning without the burr-root was the best decision he had left. There's no guarantee I'll find any burr-root, anyway, he reasoned. And if I let this bloodwort wilt any more, it won't be worth keeping. So, with his pouch full of three varieties of heartstar and the rapidly-wilting bloodwort in his fist, he set out for camp. As he walked, he examined the bloodwort and thought about impermanence.

We're like this, he thought. Pretty and powerful but easily picked. Anyone more powerful can pick us, which doesn't even allow for fate. Fate picks you, you stay picked. Your life can change just like that. Anyone's life can. Not many see it coming, I bet you. Briefly, the apprentice alchemist made a promise to himself to write down thoughts about the similarity between the potency of reagents and the mortality of intelligent beings. His thoughts then turned to more practical concerns - how much potency is lost from wilting? Is it a measurable difference? Does it increase over time? Does it vary from plant to plant?

Foop's studies with Nesta had taught him that potency is lost to wilting. But that wasn't proven, really, was it? In his mind, he imagined a series of experiments using different samples and testing their potency over time. Yes, it might just be possible to make an accurate measure of the potency lost to time. And what alchemist wouldn't pay dearly for such a text? His cousin worked with one of the new presses the Kron Hills folks had made up. Books by the dozens! And all with his name!

The young gnome's reverie of riches and fame was cut short by his arrival at camp. Ordinarily, Foop could wander about the traveling medicine show without calling his imaginings to a halt; this, though - this demanded some attention. Why was the door to Nesta's wagon ("Miracles by Nesta - World's Greatest Alchemist," blazoned on the side) broken? And where were the horses that pulled it to this spot last night?

Foop stepped gingerly into the shattered cabin and found that Nesta had been picked. His master's clever voice was silent; his mobile eyebrows were stilled; his fragile, dextrous body had been turned somehow, bent irrevocably. Foop's vision swam as he fought not to weep, or vomit, or scream. The bloodwort, wilted, fell to the floor, beside the body of his best friend and mentor.

x x x

Aching and weary, the former slaves and the elven rangers slipped into Enstad quietly. Near the outskirts of the city, they were met by outliers, who directed Laucion and the little human girl to the healers. The other slaves were looking for the first secure passage back toward their homes in the north, and that was arranged; Eladkot (and therefore Tankar) thought to do a little research while in the area. Wyn returned to the royal apartments as requested by her mother.

The pair were directed to an inn known as the Former Unicorn Rider. "Poracious keeps a good table, she does, and not too pricey neither," was the scouting report delivered by one of the outliers. "It isn't what it used to be, y'know, but what is ..." The Former Unicorn Rider turned out to be a graceful elven take on a rambling human inn, with two large halls - public and private - and 14 rooms on the second floor. Situated between the Inner and Outer Cities - as the elven and non-elven quarters of Enstad are called - it has a colorful history.

Which is to say it used to serve as a bordello. Now, though, it was just an inn. For Eladkot and Tankar, it quickly became home.

Their life in the inn acquired a pattern. Each day they'd break their fast in the common room, eating and talking with Poracious Luv. Tankar would drink a fair amount of ale and, fortified, head off for a morning of ritual work at the small forge dedicated to Moradin. Eladkot would chat with P.Luv and, in the late morning, make his way to the home of Xanthus Grubb, a half-elven enchanter whose knowledge of small magics was formidable (and whose willingness to teach them for short coin made him tractable).

They had barely a week of this pleasing rhythmic symmetry before returning to the The Rider to find it liveried in paper. Someone had placed handbills here and there throughout the common room, handbills blazoned with a symbol and a large-print question: Do You Know This Mark? The other newcomer to the place - besides the paper - was a young gnome who seemed a bit thirsty.

"They're mine," the gnome explained with little provocation, listing a bit to the side. Obviously, the gnome was well acquainted with Poracious' ale. "Mine. I made 'em. They're ... they're mine."

"Yours. I understand," Eladkot answered, looking amusedly at Tankar, who shrugged. "You're looking for someone who uses this symbol? Is this a wizard mark?"

"Right! Give the human a prize!" Foop drawled, grinning. "A mark! Or something. Wizard. Something. Killed ... killed my master."

Eladkot's look changed to one of concern. "Killed your master? How do you know?"

So the gnome told his story, start to finish. His apprenticing with Nesta. Learning the ways of alchemy. Travelling from town to town selling cures. And on and on, ending with that day a week ago when he couldn't find burr-root and couldn't beg forgiveness. "So I mean to find this wizard. Person. And ... you know. Avenge. Revenge. Get him. What have you."

"Well, I've never seen it before," Eladkot offered, and Tankar shrugged his ignorance. "Maybe I could take one to Xan ... to my tutor. Maybe he's seen it. Mind if I take one of these?"

"You ... good. Take. I'll ... I think I need to lie down," Foop said. Lurching off toward one of the smaller ground-floor rooms used by halflings and gnomes, he called over his shoulder, "Let me know. I'll ... I'm gonna get him. Let me know."

ScyldSceafing

First Post
Interstitial

The first blow seemed vicious, delivered as it was – using a two-handed grip, whirling, Wyn set her blade swinging in a blurred arc from behind her right shoulder toward Ji’tun’s scalp. The sharp clang of metal on metal indicated that, again, Ji’tun had turned it. But this time, the vicious blow wasn’t the end of the sequence. Pivoting neatly away, Wyn leaned for just a moment on the blades, then whipped it away, spinning and ducking his thrust, to deliver a stinging blow with the flat of the blade to her master’s hip.

“Aie-ah!” she shouted as it struck. Then, fairly purring with satisfaction, she sat and laid her blade over her knees.

Ji’tun couldn’t have looked more surprised if she had turned into a mist and drifted out the window. “Good,” he stammered, joining his student on the mats. “Very good. Well. You did learn a few things on that ranging, eh?”

“Yep,” she answered. “I learned that I better get good at this.”

“Hidden Valley Ranch? What kind of name is that?” Xanthus Grubb was affordable, true, but he was also vain, and his voice had a whining timbre when confronted by anything unknown. Eladkot wondered how long he could put up with the half-elf. Ah well, he thought. Guess it’s just a price I pay for learning.

“The actual name is khalak ak-ludum, of course,” was all he said, though. Not a trace of irritation showed in his voice. Eladkot had learned from worse teachers than this Grubb. He’d get what he needed. “The translation is the best I could do. The name is archaic Dwarvish, and it’s not a mode anyone I talked to at Grey College was familiar with.”

“Hmph. With you it’s always Grey College this and Grey College that. And now you want my help. Well.”

Again with the jealousy, Eladkot thought, his face carefully neutral. Doesn’t this guy care about learning at all? Again, though, he bided his time. Silence has opened more mouths than any enchantment. And I learned that at Grey College, you pinhead, he thought.

“Well,” Grubb said, after a lengthy silence. “I suppose maybe you’d better talk to Embek then.”

Meanwhile, Foop was working off a tempestuous hangover with a traditional gnomish remedy – vicious haggling. This Falthur’s Curios came highly recommended, but that didn’t mean he had to lay down and die. Just because they had some flunky write prices on little cards didn’t mean a thing.

“20 silver for two of these foxleaf?” he asked, his voice and face simulating shocked incredulity. “Are you serious? Do you get that many tourists here?”

The half-elven proprietor took a moment to look down his nose at Foop from his vantage point behind the counter. “Of course, a neophyte like yourself knows nothing of quality merchandise,” he said finally, holding out his hand to take back the jar of foxleaf. “It runs counter to your understanding of the world to actually pay your way. 20 silver is a bargain for this freshness.”

“A bargain?! I can’t even smell the griso in this! I’ll give you eight.”

“Eight?” the proprietor said, getting into the spirit of the thing. He stood up and began to mime rending his clothing, saying, “Why not take this tunic? Just take it! You want everything for nothing, here! Take my clothes! Now pay 18 or get out. You know nothing.”

“18? Why, my master Nesta would have …”

“I’m sorry. Nesta? Did you say Nesta?”

“Yes, he was my …” Foop trailed off as the proprietor passed him, stalking toward the door. The man pulled the door shut, shot the bolt, and closed the neat white shutters over the front window.

“So you’re in the trade,” the proprietor said.

“Yes,” Foop answered, a bit uneasy.

“Falthur,” the man said, extending his hand. “A friend of Nesta’s is a friend of mine. How is the old fella?”

“Well, I’ve got some bad news for you …” An hour later, Foop left. His packs were bulging with alchemical supplies, and more importantly, Falthur had told him who might know the mark he had found in his master’s wagon.

“Talk to Embek,” he said. “He knows all that sort of stuff. He’s really old, but still sharp as a thorn. And he’s a good old guy.”

It was odd for Wyn’s aunt Sassalyn to ask her over on short notice. Dinner would be nice, but it would have been nice to sit a bit after working with Ji’tun. Ah well. Wyn sponged herself clean, then dressed simply. Despite the short notice, she was glad of the opportunity to talk to her favorite aunt. Sassalyn always had good advice, and Wyn wasn’t sure what to make of her first ranging.

Sassalyn was quiet, though, through the appetizer of spring water and small, tart apples. Almost withdrawn. I’ll leave her to her thoughts, Wyn thought. Maybe she just wanted company. All in good time. That advice became more difficult to heed, though, as the main course of butter-cooked mushrooms came and went, and the dessert of sweet beans in summerwine sat, half-eaten, before her. Wyn could not remember ever having such an uncomfortable evening with her aunt Sassalyn. This was like eating with Her Grace Aunt Yolande.

Wyn’s silent frustration was broken by her aunt’s self-conscious throat-clearing. “Wyn,” she began, seeming not to know how to proceed. Oh dear, what could this be? Wyn wondered. “It’s … you met some people out there, didn’t you? Some people. Not elves.”

“I … we rescued some people from some orcs.”

“There was a human with them? And a dwarf?”

“Well, yes, I suppose there was. What’s this about, Aunt Sassalyn? Have you … have you seen something?” Sassalyn’s skill as a diviner of truth and futurity was known, but she seldom mentioned it to Wyn.

“Yes. Yes I have,” her aunt answered. “And loathe as I am to give you advice, I must say this: You must seek those people out and cleave to them. Find your destiny with them, wherever it takes you. I have seen … it is most important that you do this. For all of us.”

“Sassalyn … I don’t know what to say.”

“Then don’t say anything. Please, Wyn, trust me. I don’t give this advice lightly. And I don’t think that you asking every question that is even now rushing through your head is a good idea.

“There’s something delicate about this. Something I don’t understand. I feel as if I’m clinging to a tiny, new-budded leaf, on a thin, willowy branch; and there is a wind, gentle now, but still the harbinger of a great storm. And so I tell you what I must, and ask you to hear me, and I should say no more. Just keeping ahold of this leaf is occupying all my time. And the storm is coming.

“Be well, Wyn. Remember I love you. Go now, child. Seek them out. Offer them your skills. They need them. Stay in touch.”

“Auntie, I …”

“Wyn, for the love I bear for you – go.”

Wyn went.

Wyn’s arrival at their dinner was a surprise, as neither Eladkot nor Tankar had seen the elf-girl since their slave-refugee caravan arrived in the capital. Now, here she was, without armor, gliding in and making herself at home. She just came in, sat down with the barest nod of greeting, and listened as Foop told how he had not only hoodwinked Falthur into ludicrous prices, but done it so smoothly that the alchemist now thought of him as a friend. After that, she seemed to assume that she was part of their plans.

And so, somehow, Eladkot’s visit to the home of the renowned sage Embek was encumbered not only by the presence of a suspicious, prying dwarf, but also a talkative gnome and a reserved, heavily armed elf-girl.

After, nothing was the same.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads