• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Condolences to the victims of the Indonesia quake

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
I don't know that there's a need to weigh relative importance of individuals. I'm happy for those that made it and sad for those who didn't and those that loved them. Yikes.

Emiricol

I'm horrified, even now a day later. And now, emergency workers reached some areas in Sumatra where they found many, many more victims. The tsunami has now claimed more than 44,000 lives, displaced over a million families, and destroyed the livelihood of many more. If any of us can donate, please consider doing so :(

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&e=1&u=/ap/20041228/ap_on_re_as/quake_tidal_waves

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
oh wow, 44,000 and counting last i heard.

what part of india did joe browning and suzi yee go to again? Mrs. Boz reminded me of them last night...

AGGEMAM

First Post
I fear that the death toll so far is just half of the real number. Both because noone has a complete overview of the disaster, and that some authories in the affected countries will certainly downplay the actual number.

And then there's the following epidemic ...

This is one of the biggest disasters in the last 25 years IMO. I only hope that an english friend of mine that were on holiday in Phuket turn up, he's among the missing. :(

Numion

First Post
59 thousand thus far. Lots of finns too, and some will never be found. Some of the local communities are devastated with 60-70% of population gone. Even the finnish financial minister had to climb to a pole to survive :(

hellbender

First Post
I had lived in Medan and traveled Sumatra for two years teaching English as a second language and made many, many good friends there, just found out that they didn't all make it out. Some looting gone awry. Very sad event. My sympathies to any with friends and family in the devastation.

Klaus

First Post
According to scientists, the Earth's axle has MOVED 0.002" (or 6 cm) (!!!) and the quake MOVED a few islands off the coast of Sumatra by as much as 30 METERS!

They claim the climate of the world won't change, but astronomical calculations will need to be remade...

Yep, we're just tiny specks of dust in the big picture...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads