Congratulations to the 2015 ENnies Nominees!

Hearty congratulations go out to the 2015 nominees for the Gen Con EN World RPG Awards! The winners will be announced at Gen Con on Friday, July 31st, after a public vote which will open on July 4th. And don't forget, you can nominate yourself as a 2016 judge before July 2nd, and nominate a Fan Favourite Publisher before the same date.

Thanks also go to this year's sponsors, DriveThruRPG and Campaign Coins. Nominees can find web-suitable nominee badges here.

Note that the 2015 nominations have been updated following the disqualification of one product in three categories.

[h=4]Best Adventure[/h]
A Red & Pleasant Land (Lamentations of the Flame Princess)
Horror on the Orient Express (Chaosium)
Hoard of the Dragon Queen (Wizards of the Coast)
Cake Walk (Fabled Environments)
East Texas University: Degrees of Horror (Pinnacle Entertainment Group)

[h=4]Best Aid/Accessory[/h]
DungeonMorph Dice: Explorer Set (Inkwell Ideas)
D&D Dungeon Master’s Screen (Wizards of the Coast)
Syrinscape’s Rise of the Runelords Mega SoundPack (Syrinscape)
Black-green Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition RPG Dice Set (Q-Workshop)
Pathfinder Cards: Deluxe Harrow Deck (Paizo Inc.)

[h=4]Best Art, Interior[/h]
D&D Monster Manual (Wizards of the Coast)
Interface Zero 2.0: Full Metal Cyberpunk (Gun Metal Games)
Trail of Cthulhu: Dreamhounds of Paris (Pelgrane Press)
The Strange (Monte Cook Games, LLC)
Iron Kingdoms Unleashed Core Rules Hardcover (Privateer Press)

[h=4]Best Art, Cover[/h]
Iron Kingdoms Full Metal Fantasy Monsternomicon (Privateer Press)
MUTANT: Year Zero – The Roleplaying Game (Modiphius Entertainment Ltd)
Freeport: The City of Adventure for the Pathfinder RPG (Green Ronin Publishing)
Achtung! Cthulhu: Terrors of the Secret War (Modiphius Entertainment Ltd)
Rise of Tiamat (Wizards of the Coast)

[h=4]Best Blog[/h]
ConTessa – Tabletop gaming by women for everyone!
DMDavid Blog
Gnome Stew
House Rule Gaming
NERD TREK

[h=4]Best Cartography[/h]
The Guide to Glorantha (Moon Design Publications)
Distant Outposts Deluxe Poster Map Set (Christopher West’s Maps of Mastery)
Ninth World Guidebook (Monte Cook Games, LLC)

[h=4]Best Electronic Book[/h]
Dragon Age Core RuleBook (Green Ronin Publishing)
Basic Rules for D&D (Wizards of the Coast)
Ken Writes About Stuff Volume 2 (Pelgrane Press)
Cake Walk (Fabled Environments)
Valiant Universe RPG Digital Initiative (Catalyst Game Labs)

[h=4]Best Family Game[/h]
Atomic Robo: The Roleplaying Game (Evil Hat Productions)
D&D Starter Set (Wizards of the Coast)
Infestation, An RPG of Bugs and Heroes (Third Eye Games)
Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space – Limited Edition Anniversary Rulebook (Cubicle 7 Entertainment Ltd.)
Adventure Maximus RPG Starter Set (Eden Studios)

[h=4]Best Free Product[/h]
Valiant RPG Digital Initiative (Catalyst Game Labs)
Basic Rules for D&D (Wizards of the Coast)
Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space – Arrowdown (Cubicle 7 Entertainment Ltd.)
13th Age: The Archmage’s Orrery (Pelgrane Press)
East Texas University: Redneckromancer (Pinnacle Entertainment Group)

[h=4]Best Game[/h]
D&D Player’s Handbook (Wizards of the Coast)
Firefly Roleplaying Game (Margaret Weis Productions)
Atomic Robo: The Roleplaying Game (Evil Hat Productions)

[h=4]Best Miniatures Product[/h]
Gen Con Adventurer’s Tavern – Painted (Games and Gears)
D&D Icons of the Realms: Elemental Evil Boosters (WizKids)
Fantasy Pirate Goblin Lieutnant 28mm Miniature (Via Ludibunda)
Pathfinder Pawns: Inner Sea Pawn Box (Paizo Inc.)
Iron Kingdoms Unleashed Roleplaying Game Adventure Kit (Privateer Press)

[h=4]Best Monster/Adversary[/h]
D&D Monster Manual (Wizards of the Coast)
13th Age Bestiary (Pelgrane Press)
The Strange Bestiary (Monte Cook Games, LLC)
Iron Kingdoms Full Metal Fantasy Monsternomicon (Privateer Press)
Achtung! Cthulhu: Terrors of the Secret War (Modiphius Entertainment Ltd)

[h=4]Best Podcast[/h]
Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff
Miskatonic University Podcast
Translating the Strange
NPC Cast
Grim Dark Podcast

[h=4]Best Production Values[/h]
D&D Starter Set (Wizards of the Coast)
Iron Kingdoms Unleashed Roleplaying Game Adventure Kit (Privateer Press)
Shadowrun: Runner’s Toolkit: Alphaware (Catalyst Game Labs)

[h=4]Best RPG Related Product[/h]
Designers & Dragons: A History of the Roleplaying Game Industry (Evil Hat Productions)
Chicks Dig Gaming: A Celebration of All Things Gaming by the Women Who Love It (Mad Norwegian Press)
Shadowrun: Crossfire (Catalyst Game Labs)
Temple of Elemental Evil (WizKids)
Doctor Who: The Card Game 2nd Edition (Cubicle 7 Entertainment Ltd.)

[h=4]Best Rules[/h]
Mindjammer – The Roleplaying Game (Transhuman Science-Fiction Adventure in the Second Age of Space) (Modiphius Entertainment Ltd)
At the Hands of an Angry God (BlackWyrm Games)
Monster of the Week (Evil Hat Productions)

[h=4]Best Setting[/h]
Trail of Cthulhu: Dreamhounds of Paris (Pelgrane Press)

[h=4]Best Software[/h]
Roll20 (Roll 20)
D&D Complete Core Monster Pack for Fantasy Grounds (SmiteWorks USA LLC)
Hero Lab (Lone Wolf Development)
Syrinscape’s Rise of the Runelords Mega SoundPack (Syrinscape)
Eclipse Phase: Singularity Character Generator (Posthuman Studios & Snow Dog Labs)

[h=4]Best Supplement[/h]
D&D Dungeon Master’s Guide (Wizards of the Coast)
Pathfinder RPG: Pathfinder Unchained (Paizo Inc.)
Savage Worlds Science Fiction Companion (Pinnacle Entertainment Group)
Doctor Who – The Fourth Doctor Sourcebook (Cubicle 7 Entertainment Ltd.)
Shadowrun: Run Faster (Catalyst Game Labs)

[h=4]Best Website[/h]
Tabletop Audio
Adventureaweek
Age of Ravens
The Escapist
The Illuminerdy

[h=4]Best Writing[/h]
Ken Writes About Stuff Volume 2 by Kenneth Hite (Pelgrane Press)
D&D Player’s Handbook by Jeremy Crawford, James Wyatt, Robert J. Schwalb, Bruce R. Cordell (Wizards of the Coast)
The Strange by Monte Cook, Bruce R. Cordell (Monte Cook Games, LLC)
A Red & Pleasant Land by Zak S (Lamentations of the Flame Princess)
Designers & Dragons: A History of the Roleplaying Game Industry by Shannon Appelcline (Evil Hat Productions)

[h=4]Product of the Year[/h]
Iron Kingdoms Unleashed Core Rules Hardcover (Privateer Press)
Designers & Dragons: A History of the Roleplaying Game Industry (Evil Hat Productions) Firefly Roleplaying Game (Margaret Weis Productions)
Mindjammer – The Roleplaying Game (Transhuman Science-Fiction Adventure in the Second Age of Space) (Modiphius Entertainment Ltd)

[h=4]Judges' Spotlight[/h]
Each judge chooses one product which they feel deserves highlighting. These are not ENnie nominations, but they are products which deserve recognition.

Annah Madrinan: Dragons in the Stacks: A Teen Librarian’s Guide to Tabletop Role-Playing (Libraries Unlimited)
Stacy Muth: Wicked Lies and Alibis (Imaginary Empire)
Jakub Nowosad: Posthuman Pathways (Genesis of Legend Publishing)
Kayra Keri Kupcu: Firefly Echoes of War: Thrillin’ Heroics (Margaret Weis Productions)
Kurt Wiegel: East Texas University (Pinnacle Entertainment Group)

Dahak

Explorer
From my reading, you're mistaking his complaint (although I could also be wrong.)

My reading of his point is twofold: a) the product in question doesn't have permission to use the copyrights and trademarks it is using (as seems to be the case as another publisher who pursued the license pointed out that the video game publisher has zero interest in such a product existing) and thus should not qualify on that basis alone and b) the ENnies are perceived as an industry award process (I don't actually know what their official stance is on fan made materials, and I imagine most other people don't either, which is why I'm saying it is "perceived" as an industry awards process) and that putting in fan made material bumps a publisher (who usually spends money getting their product into consideration for the awards.)

I didn't read his complaint to mean "fan content? Eeeeeeeew."

Note that my objection to his objection is also twofold. His use of "legitimate" rather than "professional" is a statement of quality. His use of "gives the finger" also implies something objectively superior about professional products. In the case of the free product category, that is not necessarily accurate this year.

And for the record, I agreed in my original post that if the product did not have permission from EA, it should be ineligible. Perhaps I should have been more explicit about that point, but now I have been.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dahak

Explorer
My personal opinion on the latter point is that there should be a fan product category, at best, if they are to be included rather than mingling them with industry products. There are, after all, reasons why award shows in other entertainment industries don't mix "fan" and "industry" products for the same awards.

Keeping this point separate, but I disagree. Amateur publications should be, and are, eligible. I dare say that most podcasts are not by "industry" publishers, but serve the same niche that Alarums & Excursions did many years ago.

Note that my objection to his objection is also twofold. His use of "legitimate" rather than "professional" is a statement of quality.
See, I didn't see it that way. I read him to be meaning "professional publisher who go through the proper channels to license IPs and not a general thumb at "fan made" on its own.

His use of "gives the finger" also implies something objectively superior about professional products.
Again, my reading was not "ew, fan material sucks compared to professional publications" but rather pointing out that its inclusion is an insult to people who go through the proper process to get permission to publish using IPs -- a process they have to pay to partake of.

In the case of the free product category, that is not necessarily accurate this year.
Just because the Twilight fan fiction that eventually became 50 Shades of Grey is a published story doesn't mean it should have been entered into book awards until it went through the transition to a professional offering.

And for the record, I agreed in my original post that if the product did not have permission from EA, it should be ineligible. Perhaps I should have been more explicit about that point, but now I have been.
Green Ronin approached them about a Mass Effect license and, according to people at GR, were flat out told EA had no interest in such a product existing. So, it is reasonable to conclude the author wasn't given permission to make the product, let alone use EA's copyrights and trademarks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dahak

Explorer
See, I didn't see it that way. I read him to be meaning "professional publisher who go through the proper channels to license IPs and not a general thumb at "fan made" on its own.

Again, my reading was not "ew, fan material sucks compared to professional publications" but rather pointing out that its inclusion is an insult to people who go through the proper process to get permission to publish using IPs -- a process they have to pay to partake of.

Just because the Twilight fan fiction that eventually became 50 Shades of Grey is a published story doesn't mean it should have been entered into book awards until it went through the transition to a professional offering.

Green Ronin approached them about a Mass Effect license and, according to people at GR, were flat out told EA had no interest in such a product existing. So, it is reasonable to conclude the author was given permission to make the product, let alone use EA's copyrights and trademarks.

Steve, I get it -- you disagree with me. The converse of that is I disagree with you. I *do* see it as him making a quality judgement about amateur products. If that's not what he meant, he is free to clarify and choose his words more carefully in the future. Or not.

I believe strongly in the concept of the free market when it comes to non-essential things (including the games market). If an amateur product is better than a professional product, the market will decide its worth.

Fildrigar

Explorer

So, you mean the disclaimer early in the product that goes out of it's way to say that this product is not affiliated with Bioware in any way, shape, or form?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The categories don't currently distinguish between fan work or publisher work, although we have had fan categories in the past and may well again in the future. However, we do agree that IP issues are important, and we're discussing the right thing to do. We've never had to ask about a product's licensed status before, so this is a new situation for us. Thanks to those who brought it up - and we'll have some information soon (likely tomorrow). We'll make sure we do our best to the right thing!

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
Is there a specific rule against unauthorized fan works in the nomination process? EA is certainly within their rights to shut down distribution but unless and until they do it seems to me that the ENnies have the right to judge it on its merits.

Whether such a rule should exist or not is a subject for another debate but it doesn't already exist I wouldn't feel comfortable retroactively applying it to a current nominee.

Is there a specific rule against unauthorized fan works in the nomination process? EA is certainly within their rights to shut down distribution but unless and until they do it seems to me that the ENnies have the right to judge it on its merits.

Whether such a rule should exist or not is a subject for another debate but it doesn't already exist I wouldn't feel comfortable retroactively applying it to a current nominee.
I would disagree by saying the product must be legal to qualify for nominations is a pretty low bar to set for entry. If not, it's "hello, James Shipman! Welcome to the ENnies!"

Abulia

First Post
Hello. My name is Don Mappin and I am the author, developer, and "publisher" of the work in question. I am typing this on an iPad with spotty wifi while celebrating my 20th wedding anniversary in St. Lucia. So I beg your indulgence if parts seem muddled. :)

As an RPG industry veteran with 20 years experience I have published through Iron Crown Enterprises, Last Unicorn Games, Decipher, and AEG, among others. I've won roughly 5 ENnies, been nominated for an Origins Award and other sundry accolades for the work I've contributed to. I'm quite proud of the work that I've done in all these products, especially the Mass Effect: Fate RPG.

I followed, to the best of my ability, the entry requirements for the ENnies, the Origins Awards, and the Golden Geek (Finalist in 2 categories). The statement that other publishers "who usually spend money getting their product into consideration for the awards" is somewhat meaningless as the ENnies have no entry fee requirement. As an electronic product, I only had to sub,it the PDF. I did, however, send a physical library copy as a courtesy. So I spent as much as any other "legitimate publisher" would. (I spent several hundreds of dollars of my own money to submit for the Origins, as a point of reference.)

The work is a labor of love and it has been downloaded extensively since its release last year. I am very public and open that it is an unlicensed product, made available free of charge and that no renumeration is to be made from its distribution. The Fate core OGL is adhered to (to the best of my ability) as well as content from Brennan Taylor of Galileo Games and their Bulldogs! product, with permission.

I don't believe that I have violated any aspect of the rules for the ENnies and would hope that my work could be considered. Nor do I believe that I am "stealing" (my words) a slot for Best Product if, in the eyes of the judges, my work was, in fact, superior enough to merit inclusion over other publishers.

Conspiracy theories and such aside, I am simply an industry veteran choosing to give back to the hobby I love. I hope you'll consider my work--and its merits--in that vein.

For Morrus, et al., I will be back in the U.S. on Thurs if you'd like to arrange a phone call to chat.

Respectfully,
Don Mappin

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases