• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Conjure Animals Spell & Half-Dragon

BKstacker

Villager
When you conjure a fey that that takes a form of a beast, can you also make it half-dragon? The half-dragon template from the Monster Manual says a beast can become a half-dragon.

gyor

Legend
When you conjure a fey that that takes a form of a beast, can you also make it half-dragon? The half-dragon template from the Monster Manual says a beast can become a half-dragon.

I don't think you can add templates to a summons, but if it's not organized play your DM might allow it.

Satyrn

First Post
This is a question that is totally up to your DM to answer. There is no definitive answer in the game itself. For my current campaign, my answer would be no, because there simply are no half-dragon animals.

If you are the DM, I see you're already leaning to yes.

BKstacker

Villager
We are doing a 1 time 3v3v3 PVP match and one of my teammates suggested it and I just wanted clarification on if it allowed. If you conjure a constrictor snake CR 2 Huge, which breathe attack/size does it get?

sulimo0310

Explorer
RAW it is allowable if you keep the challenge rating the same. The template does not change the creature type so it is still a beast, and a beast is a viable candidate for the template. That being said I would never allow that in my game without some restrictions. If, say, a Dragonborn Druid or Ranger... or perhaps a multiclass Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer/ Bard really wanted to do it for flavor and/or story reasons I would probably homebrew a feat or something to allow it. But to each their own. If you feel comfortable doing it at your table it is certainly RAW (not that it matters much, even if it wasn't RAW you can allow whatever you want). And the game being a one-shot anyway why not go a little crazy.

sulimo0310

Explorer
We are doing a 1 time 3v3v3 PVP match and one of my teammates suggested it and I just wanted clarification on if it allowed. If you conjure a constrictor snake CR 2 Huge, which breathe attack/size does it get?
Also to keep the summons a CR 2 you need a large or smaller creature and it would have the wyrmling breath weapon. A huge creature would need to be CR 7 or higher, and get a young dragon breath weapon. But such a beast would not be a viable candidate for summoning. I suggest a polar bear or perhaps a rhinoceros. Saber -Toothed Tiger also works if you want something stealthy with pounce.

The most important rule to remember here is it is up to the DM to decide what responds to the summons, not the player.

Most DMs would probably give the players what they wanted if the felt the request was reasonable, but any attempt at rule bending exploits would probably result in rabbits.

Last edited:

Remove ads