Consent in Gaming - Free Guidebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
What kind of person prioritises their own fun over the fun of five or six other people? This is not "emotional wefare". This is D&D. If you have a rat phobia, you don't play in the rat-based campaign, and you don't tell the rest of the group not to play it, either. If they choose to wrap it up and do something different that you can play in, that's great. But you absolutely should not be trying to guilt them into doing so.

I mean, everyone has different social situations and gaming scenes. I live in a pretty small community; I play with my friends or not at all, and my friends are all in the same boat. There is no "other game" to play. So you can bet we're pretty conscious of the types of things we do and do not want to experience while gaming.

If you and your players feel so strongly about playing your rat campaign that you'd willingly leave out the player who just can't handle rats, that's certainly a choice. And maybe that's an easier choice if you're playing with strangers more than with friends. Me, though, either way I'd say "maybe we'll get to that campaign another time guys, let's figure out something we'd all enjoy". But, you know, that's just me. Look at that bleeding heart, they actually care about people :ROFLMAO:

Gradine

This may be difficult for some of you to believe, but you can disagree with the Consent in Gaming pamphlet and still care about the emotional well-being of your players. Those are not mutually exclusive items.

This would be easier to buy if so much of the disagreement wasn't centered around a dismissal of trauma in general and trauma-informed approaches in specific. I don't disagree that they are not mutually exclusive; just that a lot of the disagreement seems to be coming from that place of dismissiveness.

S'mon

Legend
If you and your players feel so strongly about playing your rat campaign that you'd willingly leave out the player who just can't handle rats, that's certainly a choice.

I have a friend, Judith. She works at the weekends. She gets left out of my Sunday game.
So I run a Wednesday game too. Now she can play. That's what I do.
If Judith were trying to guilt me into not running on Sundays, so that she never missed a game, she wouldn't be a very good friend.

Nagol

Unimportant
This may be difficult for some of you to believe, but you can disagree with the Consent in Gaming pamphlet and still care about the emotional well-being of your players. Those are not mutually exclusive items.

So... pick a different tool or just keep using the ones you've already adopted then.

ETA
I'm almost certainly not going to adopt the consent tool as presented. I can see where it might provide value to some games and situations.

Celebrim

Legend
You are putting words in my mouth. You know that isn't what I am saying.

Unfortunately, no he doesn't. There is this ideal that if you disagree, it must because you are some sort of -ist. The idea that both sides might hold similar values, but instead disagree over the means, is not something he's going to be willing to entertain. Hence the resemblance to the Satanic Panic, right down to the attempting to get me to recover repressed memories and the like.

Gradine

I have a friend, Judith. She works at the weekends. She gets left out of my Sunday game.
So I run a Wednesday game too. Now she can play. That's what I do.
If Judith were trying to guilt me into not running on Sundays, so that she never missed a game, she wouldn't be a very good friend.

True. But that's a very different beast altogether from Judith asking you not to include car crashes in your sessions because she was the only survivor of a crash with her friends as a teenager and she still feels immense trauma and survivor's guilt over it. Because The Consent Handbook is very much about that kind of scenario and not at all about the one you just described.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads