Consent in Gaming - Free Guidebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
It is getting pushback because some parts of the checklist are kind of out there. And the PDF has a lot of ideas people think are a little off. I think if you live in a certain bubble in the gaming community it seems normal. I think for most gamers, this a bridge too far. It isn't about a lack of empathy or compassion. People are happy to help those they know with problems. But this list effectively gives people a tool they can use to veto any gaming content they don't like, for pretty much any reason (and it gives them the moral high ground for doing so). It is a recipe for very dysfunctional social behavior in my opinion and it isn't the right way to handle serious problems like PTSD (or other mental illness).

It is exactly the right way to handle serious issues like PTSD. It is literally textbook trauma-informed approach. And these veto arguments have got to stop. The difference between someone reliving serious trauma and someone being a dickhead just because they can is patently obvious to basically everybody and anybody. This "But a bad actor might do [X}... so we need to get rid of it!" argument is the exact same argument as "But some people use RPGs to re-enact sexual violence on others, so let's get rid of RPGs!" and it is equally as nonsensical. There will be abusive people who will use every advantage they have to screw over others just because. You may see that as giving them more ammunition; I see it as giving them another length of rope. The earlier you can weed these jerks out, the better.

It is exactly the right way to handle serious issues like PTSD. It is literally textbook trauma-informed approach. And these veto arguments have got to stop. The difference between someone reliving serious trauma and someone being a dickhead just because they can is patently obvious to basically everybody and anybody. This "But a bad actor might do [X}... so we need to get rid of it!" argument is the exact same argument as "But some people use RPGs to re-enact sexual violence on others, so let's get rid of RPGs!" and it is equally as nonsensical. There will be abusive people who will use every advantage they have to screw over others just because. You may see that as giving them more ammunition; I see it as giving them another length of rope. The earlier you can weed these jerks out, the better.

I will say this once and drop it. I had PTSD. One thing that can happen when you have PTSD is you can force people around you to conform to your reality if you are given too much control over terms of discussion and behavior. For example taking the family television set hostage and not allowing people to watch things you find troubling, rather than leaving the room if you need to when something troubling is going to be on. I don't think this list is at all healthy for people who have PTSD or people who don't and are trying to run a game. Gaming groups are part of the world. When you have PTSD you have to learn to deal with the world. It is unreasonable to expect every movie that is playing, every conversation you overhear on the bus, and every campaign to adjust to your concerns. I think we are losing sight of that in this discussion and people are using the existence of PTSD to win a debate online.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I will say this once and drop it. I had PTSD. One thing that can happen when you have PTSD is you can force people around you to conform to your reality if you are given too much control over terms of discussion and behavior. For example taking the family television set hostage and not allowing people to watch things you find troubling, rather than leaving the room if you need to when something troubling is going to be on. I don't think this list is at all healthy for people who have PTSD or people who don't and are trying to run a game.

I have PTSD as well. I think this document is healthy for people who have PTSD, as do the people whose job and expertise it is to treat people with PTSD and other forms of trauma.

That doesn't mean that this approach is right for you; it very well could not be. Everyone's trauma is different. But this is very much mental health industry best practice at use. It's not going to be the best thing for everyone, but it'll do a lot of good for a lot of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads