Consider the Cannoli: Subjective Preferences and Conversations about Geek Media

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I've written a lot of words here. But despite the lack of love (quite literally!), this is my favorite piece. So I'm finishing by bumping this one.

I've written funnier things. More meaningful things. Things that, you know, actually apply to D&D and roleplaying games. Heck, this doesn't have anything to do with Greyhawk or have anything about obscure rules from 40 years ago. But this was always my favorite. Sure, I'd completely re-do section seven if I was editing it (but I can't rewrite, because to rewrite is to deceive and lie and to betray my thoughts) ... because a little obvious?

But the rest? From the weird DFW/Hokusai arrangement to the random interjection of cupcakes ... the BARDS of the dessert world ... just so I can make sure they catch the strays ... I enjoyed writing it. And it's really about the journey, not the destination.

Also? Fahkkin' cannoli? They're still .... fine.

Snarf Zagyg

Update-

Cannoli? They still suck.

But they now suck in new ways. Such is progress.

Behold ... the Pumpkin Spice Cannoli.

images

1l5y7j.gif

Update-

Cannoli? They still suck.

But they now suck in new ways. Such is progress.

Behold ... the Pumpkin Spice Cannoli.

images

1l5y7j.gif

My mom used to get cannoli for every gathering and occasion so I developed a real taste for them

Actually pumpkin spice in a cannoli might actually not be bad. I like pumpkin pie. I can sort of see it. For the the thing that makes Pumpkin spice annoying is they put it in everything and even spray it in the air just to let you know it's fall

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
So it goes. I know, deep down, that even the best cannoli will never be something I truly enjoy.
Shouldn’t this be in the unpopular opinions thread? 😁 (FWIW, I’m not a fan of the cannoli, either.)

I also had a similar culinary odyssey with tiramisu, but eventually found good ones in Rome. And since then, I’ve found similarly good ones in better American Italian restaurants and (oddly) Korean bakeries.

EDIT: I didn’t realize until a minute or so ago that I was responding to a necro’ed thread in which I’d participated in before…AND I’m basically repeating myself!🤦🏾

Last edited:

Snarf Zagyg

Shouldn’t this be in the unpopular opinions thread? 😁 (FWIW, I’m not a fan of the cannoli, either.)

I also had a similar culinary odyssey with tiramisu, but eventually found good ones in Rome. And since then, I’ve found similarly good ones in better American Italian restaurants and (oddly) Korean bakeries.

EDIT: I didn’t realize until a minute or so ago that I was responding to a necro’ed thread in which I’d participated in before…AND I’m basically repeating myself!🤦🏾

First, this thread isn't necro'd. The meh-ness of Cannoli, like the perfidy of Bards, is evergreen!

Second, you should be proud that you were consistent! Much better than when you look back at your posts from a few years ago and see that you were arguing the exact opposite position. Um. So I've heard. From a friend. That you've never met.

Third, and maybe this will eventually drive a new thread, I personally find cannoli to be in a different category than tiramisu (as you have). Tiramisu spread throughout Italy in the '70s, and then hopped over to 'Murikuh where we immediately deep-fried it on put it on a stick. Um, wait, no. Where it immediately spread on menus over time. Problem was, a lot of those were terrible. So the experience that most people have with it isn't with the good version of the product, but the really terrible ones. A good tiramisu can be amazing, but there's just a lot of terrible ones out there.

It's the same with a lot of dishes. Caesar salads, for example. They are omnipresent, but if you've ever had an actual, bona fide, good Caesar salad ... you know the difference immediately.

Unfortunately, Cannoli are not in that category. If I was in Plato's cave, and eating the platonic perfect Cannoli, it would still kinda suck.

Snarf Zagyg

How can your heart be filled with so much hate Snarf ?

I mean ... have you read my posts before? ;)

It's not that my heart is naturally filled with hate. Rather, I cultivate it in my heart, like a rose. Carefully tending to the flames and fires of antipathy, such that even the blackest cockles of that vestigial organ are naught more than a vessel to allow the darkest impulses of my being full flight, unmediated by the guardrails of empathy, sympathy, or any pathies that might be confused with compassion. It's not that I necessarily abhor the companionship of my fellow person, it's more that when I encounter someone, I always think to myself, "Self, maybe I should buy them a toaster for their bathtub."

Or, you know, society made me do it. I blame other people.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I don't think that I have ever disagreed so strongly with a post of yours. Only the delicious memories of all the cannoli I have eaten can sustain me trough those dark and trying times. Some cassata can help too.

What I have enjoyed about bagels is listening to New Yorkers go on about how they have the only one true bagel and then suggesting that maybe they should try the ones from Montreal (where I grew up) and then seeing confusion in their eyes as they admit that bagels can be good in other places as well. I have not found any place that consistently gets pizza right across the whole city like NYC, though.

I am not fond of cannoli as well, but I don’t expect all others to not like them. And I have tried them in different places, just like I try different games. If I don’t like the game, then I try to avoid playing it but I don’t try and tell people that like them that they are wrong, I just say I do not like it.

Remove ads