• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Consider the Cannoli: Subjective Preferences and Conversations about Geek Media

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I get it. A Little Rock 10 is a New York 6. You've got so many people there that the competition for anything is fierce and the best of anything is going to be the best-of-the-best. New York is arguably the greatest city in the world and residents should be proud of what they have. But they don't need to be insuffrably proud and tell the rest of us how much better they are than us. Though I find people from San Francisco and Austin to be worse than New Yorkers in that regard.

True, New Yorkers are insufferable.

But in fairness, people are insufferable. Hell isn't just other people, it's other people telling you about why their hometown is all cool and stuff, and then saying, "Hot enuff for ya?"

True, New Yorkers are insufferable.

But in fairness, people are insufferable. Hell isn't just other people, it's other people telling you about why their hometown is all cool and stuff, and then saying, "Hot enuff for ya?"
There are only 3 cities I have been to where the average person walking down the street walks like they own the whole Fing world. NYC. London. Shanghai. I lived just outside of NYC and worked in the city and I have lived in Shanghai. People walk the same damned way in NYC and Shanghai. London is a more suave version of the same walk. Close and much closer in the City vs. most of the city. Most Chinese outside of Shanghai seem have the same opinion of Shanghaiese as Americans outside of NYC have of NYers.

I love NYC but never cheer for their sports teams as the media is based there an insufferable. LA is the same on the west coast (I live near SF now)

I really don’t know what the RPG version of NYC is.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I like Caesar salads, and agree that what you usually get is only a shadow of the real deal.

(I still order Caesars often, regardless.)

Same. Always chasing that dream....

(While I have had some truly great Caesar salads, I can still remember the first time I had a transcendent one. It was many years ago, at a restaurant that is no longer operating*, and I was told that I had to get the Caesar salad. Anyway, they came to the table with all of the accoutrements and mixed it together there, including making the dressing from scratch, and the memory of that perfect Caesar sill stirs my soul.)

*It was a very upscale restaurant ... and expensive ... and it only accepted cash. Weirdly, it was shut down several years later for, um .... reasons.

Vael

Legend
For me, Caesar salad was conquered when I realized, like Thanos, "Fine. I'll do it myself". I've got a solid, fairly simple recipe for caesar salad dressing that I much prefer to others I've had. It's also the only way I like anchovies, which I find vile, but making the dressing without anchovy paste is not right.

As for cannoli, I view it as a trap of a dessert. An open-ended tube full of cheese is just asking how much you want to ooze out the far end.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
Same. Always chasing that dream....

(While I have had some truly great Caesar salads, I can still remember the first time I had a transcendent one. It was many years ago, at a restaurant that is no longer operating*, and I was told that I had to get the Caesar salad. Anyway, they came to the table with all of the accoutrements and mixed it together there, including making the dressing from scratch, and the memory of that perfect Caesar sill stirs my soul.)

*It was a very upscale restaurant ... and expensive ... and it only accepted cash. Weirdly, it was shut down several years later for, um .... reasons.
Same here. Bowl wiped down with anchovy paste, the remnants of which was thrown away. Dressing made at the table. Actual lemon wedges squeezed over thing after all was done. I could have just eaten that, alone, and called it a meal.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
New York is on my list of places to visit, and I have this underlying dread that I will try their pizza and become a convert. For the rest of my life, whenever I have a slice I shall feel the need to loudly proclaim it isn't as good as the slice I had in New York.

Here's the thing - not ALL pizza in NYC is good. It is quite possible to get crappy pizza in NYC.

The reason NYC is proud of its pizza, and its bagels, is not that they are always good in NYC. It is that good examples are easy to find in NYC. Go to a neighborhood, try just a couple of places, and you will find a pizza you like.

There is competition, yes, but "good" is not the only thing that rises to the top in competition - low price and convenience do too. If a new Yorker has got half an hour for lunch, they go down to the street, walk into wherever is close by and cheap, and will shove a slice of greasy floppy gunk down their gullet and get on with life.

New Yorkers will not whine about crappy pizza. Just like they don't whine about how the streets are often kind of smelly. New Yorkers are insufferable because they have a shared bond over putting up with crap. It builds character. And if youse can't hack it, they don't need ya.

Remove ads