D&D 5E Considering Bigby's Big Book of Giants: How much use did you get out of Fizban's Big Book of Dragons?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The only part of Fizban's that seen play so far are the Dragonborn variants, because my two oldest kids exclusively play Dragonborn.

The book has earned a high place in my esteem for my oldest's use of it as an art refefvook to fill reams of Notebooks with fresh dragon designs.

We like Dragons in these parts.

Also, it has the 5E version of the objectively best D&D Monster, the Dragonne, so it's pure S tier territory, forget lowly A+.

As to Bigby's...I like Giants, amd Giants are more, how you say...expendable...than Dragons are, so I think theybwill se some use. Like Dragona, Giants can also be pretty fleshed out NPCs, so James Wyatt's extra flavor material and maps (because he loves tables and maps, I'm sure they will be present) will be appreciated.

I was happy with Fizban's.

I have used: Dragon Wing Bow, Topaz Annihilator, Dragon's Wrath Battleaxe, Draconic Gift (as a reward option), Moonstone Dragon*, Deep Dragon, Dragonbone Golem*, Elder Brain Dragon.

And I'm planning on playing a dragonborn PC from this book the next time I get to be a player rather than a DM.

*The players never encountered these, but they were in.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Fizban's isn't the equal of the Draconomicon, I completely agree.

It is a good book, though, and I poured a lot of content from it into some recent campaign prep (dragonflesh grafters, a white dagon lair, some other random monsters). I'd need to build a dragon-focused campaign to get absolute value for money.

Agreed on the Draconomicon. I've not really used Fizban's at all, but I'm still excited for Giants to get their Due as it were. In my homebrew campaign world the defining conflict which has marked the ages thus far as been the wars between Giants and Dragons. Both of which are Heavily homebrewed and modified, but regardless, having additional support material and inspiration is always a plus.

Reynard

Legend
I reread Fizban's over the weekend and it is a really good book with lots of practical tools as well as big fun ideas. Best GM book of 5E so far. I am looking forward to Giants in the same vein.

Now if they could just fix their stat block problem. CR 30 Aspect of Tiamat breath does 9d12 damage? Come on.

jgsugden

Legend
I've used several creatures, a few spells, and considered the feats. It was a low usage, and was a reason I only got it on D&D Beyond.

Voadam

Legend
I have not yet gotten Fizban's but it is on my Amazon list for family to consider when Christmas rolls around. A 5e giant's book would be the same.

I enjoy monster lore books so both are on my list, but I don't buy myself hardcopies any more.

Weiley31

Legend
I like Fizban's but I also agree that you need to supplement it with the 3.0 Draconomicon and Races of the Dragons for maximum effect.

Last edited:

Remove ads