D&D 5E Considering Bigby's Big Book of Giants: How much use did you get out of Fizban's Big Book of Dragons?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This is true! There are a lot fewer giant types than dragon types, but I'm sure they could come up with some neat new ideas! I know the voadkyn/Wood giants could be brought back, possibly.
Someone did the math on it a bit ago, and just focusing ok kinds of Fiants already in 5E it comes to 15 groups.include all the older Edition oddball variants, make up a couple...very doable! Partilots of info to play them as NPCs.

TravDoc42

Getting a hang of this!
Someone did the math on it a bit ago, and just focusing ok kinds of Fiants already in 5E it comes to 15 groups.include all the older Edition oddball variants, make up a couple...very doable! Partilots of info to play them as NPCs.
I guess I kinda forgot about giant-kin like ogres, trolls, and oni! Whoops!
Interesting to see if they'll flesh out the verbeeg more from their appearance in Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden, that would be cool to see!

That was me over on another thread.

6 classic giant types: hill, stone, frost, fire, cloud, and storm.

6 giant-kin: cyclops, ettin, fomorian, verbeeg; plus the PC race giant-kin races: firbolg and goliath.

3 giant-adjacent creatures: ogre, oni, troll

That's 15 already in 5e products. That's probably enough to carry a book on their own if they wanted, but assuming they want to get up to 20 like Fizban's, it will be simple to update older edition giants like voadkyn, fog giants, mountain giants, and so on.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero

6 giant-kin: cyclops, ettin, fomorian, verbeeg; plus the PC race giant-kin races: firbolg and goliath.

That's 15 already in 5e products. That's probably enough to carry a book on their own if they wanted, but assuming they want to get up to 20 like Fizban's, it will be simple to update older edition giants like voadkyn, fog giants, mountain giants, and so on.
Fog giants are in Mordenkainen's Fiendish Folio Volume 1.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

You were my primary suspect, but I wasn't sure!

I think Orcs are another strong possibility: they are historically linked to Giants in D&D, and Ettins particularly, so this seems an opportunity to give them a new story.

Playable Large Races would be cool, but we'll see...

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Oh, another 5E Giant in print: the Mercane in Spelljammer, which plays into Doomspace, which has Dawn War references to the Primordials as well.

Going into the details of the Dawn War in the Furst World seems like plausible material here.

Oh, another 5E Giant in print: the Mercane in Spelljammer, which plays into Doomspace, which has Dawn War references to the Primordials as well.

Going into the details of the Dawn War in the Furst World seems like plausible material here.
Mercane would be interesting to add, to say the least. Getting them into the established giant lore will take a bit of work. I doubt they'll mess with giant lore too much, other than linking in the First World story from Fizban's. No doubt that will go, in short, "dragons bad, giants good"...

Stormonu

Legend
Y'now, with all the "Medium or Small" race choices, if they put out a giant book and don't put in a playable race that's Large, I'm calling shenanigans.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases