D&D 5E "Consistent Attack" -- Is this TOO powerful?

Is "Consistent Attack" too powerful of a feature?

• No, it looks fine.

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • Yes, it is too powerful, but maybe at a different level it would be okay.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Yes, it is too powerful at any level.

Votes: 4 20.0%

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Hi all,

For our house-rules we are considering giving fighters a new class feature, for lack of a better name, Consistent Attack:

Consistent Attack. Beginning at level 5, if you take an action other than the Attack or Cast a Spell actions, you can use your bonus action to make one weapon attack.

Again, this is a fighter only feature.

I made it a poll for simple "voting", but please share your thoughts as to your vote choice as well and thanks! :)

EDIT: Updated to include Cast a Spell action. Much thanks to @Dausuul for catching this.

Last edited:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I would limit it to non-spellcasting actions, since otherwise you give the EK's level 7 ability to every fighter two levels earlier. Otherwise I think it's okay.
Oh, good point. I was thinking more mundane actions like dodging, disengaging, helping, etc. instead of Cast a Spell. I'll update it and thanks!

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Hi all,

For our house-rules we are considering giving fighters a new class feature, for lack of a better name, Consistent Attack:

Consistent Attack. Beginning at level 5, if you take an action other than the Attack or Cast a Spell actions, you can use your bonus action to make one weapon attack.

Again, this is a fighter only feature.

I made it a poll for simple "voting", but please share your thoughts as to your vote choice as well and thanks! :)

EDIT: Updated to include Cast a Spell action. Much thanks to @Dausuul for catching this.

in terms of fighter vs fighter power, this and sentinel would be pretty strong together, but it’s defensively strong so it probably doesn’t matter as much.

the bigger issue is that such a feature is nearly as good as the rogues bonus action feature and quite a bit better than a monk using ki to bonus action dash or disengage.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Too powerful, as it allows dodge and still attacking with no resource expenditure. This is a very powerful combo, as a high AC maximally improves disadvantage's impact, so dodging and chipping is a powerful tactic in a lot of situations.

Iry

Hero
Seems fine. Giving fighters more non-combat options during combat is a desirable thing in my book, and the precedent already exists with the Berserker, Artillerist, etc.

Dausuul

Legend
Too powerful, as it allows dodge and still attacking with no resource expenditure. This is a very powerful combo, as a high AC maximally improves disadvantage's impact, so dodging and chipping is a powerful tactic in a lot of situations.
I mean... yes, you can do that, but you cut your own damage in half. And the enemy can just bypass you and attack the other PCs.

It's a handy trick, and situationally useful, but I'm not convinced it's all that powerful.

MarkB

Legend
You could do some useful stuff with setting up other characters using the Help action and this feature. Not necessarily overpowered, but just worth bringing to the table for contemplation.

Also, some players may try to cheese around the "not spellcasting" restriction by using the Ready action with some kind of silly trigger, i.e. "I Ready an action to cast a spell when Bob says the word 'pineapple', then I attack with my bonus action."

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
It's pretty nice for a Tier 2 fighter, but probably becomes not worth it once they hit level 11.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I think it needs playtesting to see how it works out. But it's definitely intriguing!

edit: You will have to consider how this interacts with effects like sneak attack or smite - ie the "make one attack hit extra hard" type of powers.

Remove ads