• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Constantine [SPOILERS]

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ok, just watched the first episode.

I enjoyed it. I think it is about as good a take on the story as you're likely to get on American broadcast TV. Matt Ryan looks the part, sounds the part. Thank God for that! Good SFX, too.

I liked the show. It was interesting. I don't know much about Constantine, but I found the way the character was played a bit annoying. Is Constantine supposed to have an accent? It felt as if the only reason to cast a British actor as Constantine as to make him 'edgy' and 'cool.' I've noticed that some movies and TV shows use British actors because they have an accent, as if that will cover up boring characters. I found it particularly annoying that Constantine kept on calling almost everyone, including the demons 'mate.' I can live with the accent, especially if the character is supposed to be British, but the overuse of 'mate' needs to stop - or at least be toned down.

Other than that, it was a pretty good show. I liked it. I'll keep watching it, hoping the writers tone down the 'mate' stuff.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
What you're seeing is the character back at its conceptual roots. John Constantine was actually originally visually modeled on Sting, and he was written as a classic working-class, abrasive, irreverent, chain-smoking Brit from Liverpool. For some reason, dark-haired American actor Keanu Reeves was cast in the movie role, and allowed to be Keanu. Thankfully, they didn't bleach his hair or try to make him do a British accent...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, they've dropped the smoking and the Liverpool accent. Isn't he also supposed to have terminal lung cancer?

What you're seeing is the character back at its conceptual roots. John Constantine was actually originally visually modeled on Sting, and he was written as a classic working-class, abrasive, irreverent, chain-smoking Brit from Liverpool.
But was he always calling people 'mate?' Like I said, I can deal with the accent, especially if there is a reason. The constant '...mate,' and the way he has to accentuate it gets annoying fast.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
But was he always calling people 'mate?' Like I said, I can deal with the accent, especially if there is a reason. The constant '...mate,' and the way he has to accentuate it gets annoying fast.

Fairly common speaking style here in the UK, mate. Sorry you don't like it! :)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Honestly, there were so many demons & devils that popped up in the series, including Lucifer himself, that I can't recall who all the major players were.

And yes, JC did have terminal lung cancer. As I recall, he died of it...but he got better.

Morrus, you're going to have the better ear for British accents- for obvious reasons- where would you place his?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I thought Brits were supposed to be sophisticated?

Did you?

Morrus, you're going to have the better ear for British accents- for obvious reasons- where would you place his?

Wikipedia tells me the actor's Welsh, so he definitely isn't using his own accent - sounds Yorkshire-like to me. Sean Bean. I'm only going off the trailer, though. It hasn't shown here yet.

Richards

Legend
I liked it. I figured I would just from the trailers, after having seen that they got the basics of John Constantine right (unlike the movie - ugh!). The only thing that appears to stray - heavily - from the comics is Chas's seeming ability to defy outright death. I'm not sure where they pulled that from, or where they're planning on going with it.

I've heard they aren't going to be featuring John's chain-smoking habit, though, so I don't imagine lung cancer will be coming up as a plot point. Bummer.

But I'm in. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Johnathan

Remove ads