• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

construct an uber archer

Metalsmith

First Post
Shard O'Glase said:

One if they can single shot any real dragons, then there is something seriously wrong with this prestige class.

Two, manyshot wont help you. If I sneak attack, yes I'm within 30' but I go hide, shot, hide all thanks to shot on the run and HiPS. You either have to spot me,(good luck) or ready a aciton, readied acitons mean one attack.

Are you forgetting something?
Is Hide a Free Action?
Spot is a Class Skill for Arcane Archers and Deepwood Snipers so all things being equal, you've got about a 50/50 chance to Hide from one of them. So while you are shooting 1 arrow around they are drilling you back with 5-6 arrows every 2 rounds. I'll take that exchange rate of fire. (good luck)
If you Hide In Plain Sight doesn't that mean you have full concealment. So we just target the 5' scuare and Plug Away at you. Peerless Archers also have concealemnt reduction so by hiding all you did was give yourself +7 AC.

Metalsmith

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Metalsmith said:

Are you forgetting something?
Is Hide a Free Action?
Spot is a Class Skill for Arcane Archers and Deepwood Snipers so all things being equal, you've got about a 50/50 chance to Hide from one of them. So while you are shooting 1 arrow around they are drilling you back with 5-6 arrows every 2 rounds. I'll take that exchange rate of fire. (good luck)
If you Hide In Plain Sight doesn't that mean you have full concealment. So we just target the 5' scuare and Plug Away at you. Peerless Archers also have concealemnt reduction so by hiding all you did was give yourself +7 AC.

Metalsmith

Actually you can hide as part of your movement(o in a way it is a free action), and since I'm moving my normal move I'm only at -5, and with all the +to hide items out there and the smaller number of +spot items hiding is fairly easy. Also since I've moved somewhere around 15' after my shot you can't just target a 5' square and you basically auto-miss.

Though I just give up and c0nceed to Kai Lord. Though you sure as heck wont be seeing hunter mercy in any game I run. A natural 20 roll as a 1st level spell. :rolleyes:

Kai Lord

Hero
Shard O'Glase said:
Though I just give up and c0nceed to Kai Lord. Though you sure as heck wont be seeing hunter mercy in any game I run. A natural 20 roll as a 1st level spell. :rolleyes:

Its a 1st level Ranger spell, which means it won't be cast until 4th or 5th character level, depending on Wisdom. Truestrike can be cast at 1st level, and that adds +20 to hit with any weapon.

Hunter's Mercy can be cast at 4th level, and is considered a Natural 20 with a bow only. I have no problem with it.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Kai Lord said:

Its a 1st level Ranger spell, which means it won't be cast until 4th or 5th character level, depending on Wisdom. Truestrike can be cast at 1st level, and that adds +20 to hit with any weapon.

Hunter's Mercy can be cast at 4th level, and is considered a Natural 20 with a bow only. I have no problem with it.

I do, but then again I may be spell phobic considering my biggest house rule section is the spells I've removed or weakened.

Arcanus

First Post
You know if you forget about the Shadow Dancer class and take Assassin instead you could cast Improved Invisibility, and you won't have to worry about moving and shadows.

OR even better just add the damn Assassin class anyway giving you more spell options, poison use and more sneak attacks.

You forgot to mention that you could be even more effective by using your Shadow Companions to come up through the ground on your opposing Archer while you continue to sneak attack him at your leisure, while he is trying to hit incorperal targets and possiblly taking Strength Damage.

Anyway you have a Rogue/Shadow Dancer Archer, who sounds like a very effective combo in his own right.

The ultimate Assassin/Sniper type. You can fire and then hide if your first shot didn't kill. Being able to move while doing this is awesome. Never staying in one spot for too long will keep you alive longer.

Jeremy

Explorer
Ultimate Assassin/Sniper type? Nah. That'd be a psychic warrior/deepwood sniper with a mighty composite oathbow of distance and coup de grace.

1/day automatic coup de grace with a x6 crit arrow for around 300 points of damage, a fort save of 315 or die, from a range of 3000+ feet.

That's the ultimate sniper.

Not ultimate archer, but ultimate contract assassin/sniper.

Last edited:

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Jeremy said:
Ultimate Assassin/Sniper type? Nah. That'd be a psychic warrior/deepwood sniper with a mighty composite oathbow of distance and coup de grace.

1/day automatic coup de grace with a x6 crit arrow for around 300 points of damage, a fort save of 315 or die, from a range of 3000+ feet.

That's the ultimate sniper.

Not ultimate archer, but ultimate contract assassin/sniper.

The problem with crit dependent classes(including sneak attacks like mine) is that any target worth taking the shot on is usually potected, foritficaiton isn't a high priced enchantment. (+1,+3,+5) At the +3 level its a 75% chance to avoid all crits.(I bought it on my character at 9th level) On top of that anyone can use a bow of coup de grace, and the fort save gets brutal enough that doing 15 points of damage or 300 means virtually nothing.

Metalsmith

First Post
Shard O'Glase said:

I do, but then again I may be spell phobic considering my biggest house rule section is the spells I've removed or weakened.

Spell Phobic? But you have no problems with hiding inside the shadow of a Mouse Fart?

Metalsmith

Arcanus

First Post
I meant Ultimate Archer/Sniper as in character concept.
He had (in my opinion) put some time and thought into his character.

I think that the Cleric/Archer is very well a highly effective archer.
I didn't say the best BUT he can HEAL and fire deadly arrows himself. Even if he stops progression at 17th level and takes Archer PrCs he still ranks up there being UBER mighty.

Heck he doesn't even need to multiclass at all.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Metalsmith said:

Spell Phobic? But you have no problems with hiding inside the shadow of a Mouse Fart?

Metalsmith

Not at all, stealth types should be stealthy. Spell types usually are everything and then some. Spells handle way to many things, make people better at way to many things, and answer way too many problems. Somone who plays peak-aboo for 30 points of damage a round doesn't bother me. Single shots that take down dragons, invisible, flying, hasted wizards, harm, uber-buffed clerics that fight just as good or better than fighters, the yo-god what's the answer spells etc. bother me though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads