Convention Prep - what's on your list?

Good suggestions, here. I will definitely be adding throat lozenges to my list this year (occasionally I’ve been lucky and just randomly had some in my messenger bag, but I really should bring a bag).

For my part:

-The usual gaming stuff (books, character sheet, notepad, pencils, dice, and miniatures).

-If I know a character that I’m using in multiple sessions is going to level up, I generally prepare a cheat sheet of what’s going to change in advance, so I don’t have to mess around with that.

-I always bring my Bobble (water bottle with built-in filter).

-Hand Sanitizer

-Inserts for my shoes (my usual Converses feel like they’re made of metal by the end of a con, otherwise)

-The prescriptions and OTC things I normally take. I also take Echinacea pills during a con – I know it’s a bit woo, but I’ll take whatever I can get to stave off Con Crud.

-Clothing, of course, including one more day than I think I need, plus a hoodie in case one of the rooms is cold (looking at you, Origins Ballroom).

-For food, I generally bring all sorts of snacks (of the nutritious, boring variety), and a big container of actual food (I generally go with a protein and veggie heavy quinoa salad), so I'm not dependent on going out to eat for every single meal. And yes, a bottle of wine.

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
Yes. Always has been an issue as I didn't stay at the hotel in the past and might only come in for a couple games. Luckily, the Crowne Plaza has valet parking. Makes life much easier. Now that I'm staying at the hotel this year, I'm hoping I'll be able to get a covered spot and just leave it there all weekend.

I met a couple of my friends from my days at Winona State, we all went in a single car to the nearby Red Robin on the Thursday. The friend who was driving was able to park when we got back. On Friday I drove to Firehouse Subs because I was having issues with which side of the hotel corresponded to what Google Maps was telling me. When I got back, I ended up having to park illegally about half a mile up the main street. I figure, Plymouth Minnesota police probably know when the convention is and don't ticket anyone parked illegally near the convention during it. Later on Friday, I was able to park my car in the lot and leave it there.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I met a couple of my friends from my days at Winona State, we all went in a single car to the nearby Red Robin on the Thursday. The friend who was driving was able to park when we got back. On Friday I drove to Firehouse Subs because I was having issues with which side of the hotel corresponded to what Google Maps was telling me. When I got back, I ended up having to park illegally about half a mile up the main street. I figure, Plymouth Minnesota police probably know when the convention is and don't ticket anyone parked illegally near the convention during it. Later on Friday, I was able to park my car in the lot and leave it there.

Man, that seems like a huge hassle to avoid paying $5 for valet parking.

MNblockhead

Well, I had a great three days.

Some items I would add to my packing list:

1. A small pocket knife. I always carry one, so I didn't have to put it on my list. But it was surprising how often I was taking that thing out lend to DMs or other players to cut packaging for new games and game aids.

2. Spoons. I brought most of my own food, but forgot to pack utensils. Sucks when you go to eat and then have to run around looking for a spoon or calling reception to have one brought to your room.

Unless I'm flying (or going some place with strict security), I have my Swiss Army knife with me. Always comes in handy.

1. A small pocket knife. I always carry one, so I didn't have to put it on my list. But it was surprising how often I was taking that thing out lend to DMs or other players to cut packaging for new games and game aids.

D351

First Post
Last Gen Con, I bought a sizable backpack with a clip on the front for attaching stuff at Ikea on the way there. Best last minute purchase. I strapped my collapsible back pack to the front of it (which I didn't end up needing this time), had plenty of room for those weirdly long boxes and stuff that needed to be kept flat between them, and it was just extremely convenient to have one less of those shopping bags on my arm. And now I use it for my weekly Call of Cthulhu materials. I'll definitely be emptying it for this year's Gen Con.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20313571/

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Doing my first Con in a long time, GaryCon, next month and here is my initial pack-list.

5 days of clothes + Hawaiian Shirt (a GC thing apparently)
Books for games I'm playing or may play. (AD&D 1e PH, OD&D PDF's, B/X, V&V, Boot Hil, DCC)
iPad
phone
chargers
hand sanitizer
dice
notebook
pencils
a few growlers of local craft beer to share
miniatures (D&D and wild west)
fan

MNblockhead

Last Gen Con, I bought a sizable backpack with a clip on the front for attaching stuff at Ikea on the way there. Best last minute purchase. I strapped my collapsible back pack to the front of it (which I didn't end up needing this time), had plenty of room for those weirdly long boxes and stuff that needed to be kept flat between them, and it was just extremely convenient to have one less of those shopping bags on my arm. And now I use it for my weekly Call of Cthulhu materials. I'll definitely be emptying it for this year's Gen Con.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20313571/

That's a pretty cool and useful looking backpack. The only thing is that the straps look like they may not be that comfortable or sturdy. In any event, the next time I'm in Ikea, I'm going to take a look at it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases