D&D 3E/3.5 Converting a 3.5 Whirling Dervish to 5E RAW

Halivar

First Post
The character I'd like to convert to 5E my old 3.5 whirling dervish. Obviously I can't directly convert it but I'd to capture the spirit of it. The base of the character was a fighter/rogue, and relied on multiple attacks. With the more tightly restricted action economy of 5E how would you do that? I was considering a multiclass fighter/rogue with dual-wielded rapiers, but I'm not sure that I shouldn't just go straight rogue.

Any advice? Thanks.

You made a character who moved around and attacked a lot of people?

He's a fighter. Perhaps a fighter with enough levels of rogue to get that "bonus action Disengage" ability. That's all you need. You can sprint around quickly in 5e already, attacking as you move. Fighter lets you action surge to hit more enemies. The rogue levels are just to let you weave through combat without worrying about OAs.

Paraxis

Explorer
Use scimitars because rapiers are not light weapons, and you will want the Mobile feat at level 1 or 4 and then focus on increasing Dexterity, this means you won't get the Dual Wielder feat for awhile, aslo scimitars are more traditional dervish weapons and maybe you can hint to the DM you would like a scimitar of speed.

At least 2 levels of fighter and 2 levels of rogue, action surge and two weapon fighting style are both great for this concept from fighter, and cunning action from rogue is the same.

I would probably go to at least level 5 in each, uncanny dodge and sneak attack from rogue, and the extra attack from fighter. Also both would give you ability score increases at 4th level, remember you get those at class level not character level in 5e.

Remove ads