• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Al-Qadim and Oriental Adventures creatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I like leap, but in this case, I think insurrection is more appropriate.

Are you sure on 2nd for the equivalent spell level for summon? They are at least as good as a dretch, and it takes a summon monster IV to get multiple dretches.

Any suggestions for the weapon? Maybe a scimitar for the greater threat range?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
The summoning was a bit of a stab in the dark. According to my research, a babau is CR 6, can summon 1 babau at a 40% chance as a 3rd level spell. Ours is CR 4, right? So reducing the level by one for a 2 CR deficit seems fair to me.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm all for insurrection. For the summoning, let's go with 4th level; the babau summoning only gets one babau.

Scimitar sounds good to me.

Shade

Monster Junkie
demiurge1138 said:
The summoning was a bit of a stab in the dark. According to my research, a babau is CR 6, can summon 1 babau at a 40% chance as a 3rd level spell. Ours is CR 4, right? So reducing the level by one for a 2 CR deficit seems fair to me.

Very odd, since a babau is normally summon monster VI.

I'll meet you halfway at 3rd. ;)

Speaking of summoning, do we want to provide a suggested summon monster level for sorcerers and wizards to summon bauh-yin? Or do you think they are too specific for general summons?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
They might be too specific (or too controlled by the Black Leopard), but they'd fit somewhere between Summon Monster IV and V.

Shade

Monster Junkie
We might as well finish off OA5...

Yau-Mor
Lesser Spirit
Frequency: Very Rare
No. Appearing: 1-2
Armor Class: 4
Move: 6"/24"
Hit Dice: 7+2
% in Lair: Nil
Treasure Type: Nil
No. of Attacks: 2
Damage/Attack: 1-8
Special Attacks: Breathe Fire
Special Defenses: see below
Magic Resistance: Standard
Intelligence: Low
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Size: L
Psionic Ability: None

The Yau-mor is a large (12 feet tall) creature with the head of a dragon, the torso and arms of a man, and the lower limbs of a dragon. Its skin has a greenish shade, and may have as few as one and as many as four eyes.

The yau-mor is a servant of those evil members of the Celestial Bureaucracy. It enjoys destruction and wreaking havoc, so much so that they often forget their original intentions, getting caught up in the combat of the moment.

In particular, yau-mor hate spellcasters, and will always seek to attack them when possible. They are not too swift on the uptake, however, and will not attack mages and priests until those individuals do something to call attention to themselves. After one has selected a spellcaster as a target, it will not attack others until the original target is dead.

The yau-mor can spit a gout of flame 30 feet long, inflicting 3-18 points of damage and causing combustible materials to ignite. It can do this every third round if it needs to. This is, however, painful for the yau-mor, so most avoid using this weapon unless they are hard pressed.

Yau-mor can usually be found in the Eastern Realms performing some odious mission or another, generally of the type too tiresome or too dangerous to be trusted to a more competent individual. The yau-mor follow orders well, but are easily distracted and tricked.

Originally appeared in OA5 - Mad Monkey vs. the Dragon Claw (1988).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads