• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Al-Qadim and Oriental Adventures creatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Mac

Explorer
Any other opinions?

I'd guess this was built off of the type of dragon that has six limbs instead of four limbs.

The picture shows the second arms having spikey elbows. Should they do anything (i.e. alternate attack method with less damage), or are they just there to look good?

The extra arms at the top don't look quite so strong as the other arms. Maybe they are for tweaking noses! :p

But four claw attacks seems OK. Would you want to make the second pair of claw attacks do less damage? Or is that just over-complicating things?

How about the third eye? Should that provide a bonus to spot checks (and a penalty against gaze attacks)? What happens with other multiple eye creatures?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Probably 4 equal claw attacks is sufficient. ;)

I could see a slight racial bonus to Spot and similar penalty on saves vs gazes, sure.

freyar

Ok, 4 claws and demiurge's Disrupting Attack?

The yau-mor can spit a gout of flame 30 feet long, inflicting 3-18 points of damage and causing combustible materials to ignite. It can do this every third round if it needs to. This is, however, painful for the yau-mor, so most avoid using this weapon unless they are hard pressed.

Breath Weapon: 30 ft line of fire, 3d6 damage, every 3 rounds, DC X (Constitution-based)?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

I'm fine with the bonus on Spot checks due to the extra eye, as that is common to creatures with mulitple eyes, but not with the penalty on gaze attacks, as it is not common among multi-eyed creatures.

+4 bonus?

freyar

Let's remember these have from 1-4 eyes. So maybe +2 per extra eye and -2 for the 1-eyed variant? Or is this getting too complicated?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I'd say too complicated. Let's give them a net +2 to Spot, regardless of how many eyes they have.

Do we want to keep the bit about how their breath weapons are painful? Seems sort of weird to me, especially since the breath weapon isn't that strong in the first place.

freyar

Well, their CR certainly isn't going to be too high, so I think the breath weapon is reasonable. But I do agree that we can ditch the painful bit. There's probably no need for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads