Damage/Attack: 1-6 or by weapon type
Special Attacks: see below
Special Defenses: see below
Magic Resistance: Standard
Intelligence: Average
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Size: M
Psionic Ability: None

The bauh-yin are the minions of the Black Leopard, who in life were the most devoted followers of the Black Leopard Cult (or, in more recent years, the Black Leopard Society in T'u Lung). Now they appear on the bidding of the Black Leopard, who uses them as his eyes and ears in the Realms.

Bauh-yin appear as great cat-headed men, often appearing as lions or wildcats, but most often (for those in service of Black Leopard) as leopards. Their appearance is often regarded as a good omen among the poor people of T'u Lung and as an ill omen for those in rank, power, and position. Many peasant riots have been presaged by the sudden appearance of bauh-yin.

The bauh-yin are mute but are intelligent and can communicate despite this handicap. They have the abilities to gate in 1 to 4 more bauh-yin, can teleport without error, may become invisible, cause fear (but only in those of lawful alignments), and shape change into any other form of cat. They are immune to cold, fire, and electricity, but hate water. A bauh-yin will not cross water if it can avoid it, and further, will be driven off by cloudburst and other rainmaking spells.

The bauh-yin are normally only found in the drainage area of the Fenghsintzu river, where the Black Leopard Cult flourished thousands of years ago.

Originally appeared in OA5 - Mad Monkey vs. the Dragon Claw (1988).

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Sounds right to me.

I like these guys. The embodiment of public revolt. Don't get why they're cat-headed, but...

Maybe they hate rakshasas?

They don't have much offensive capability. Perhaps they should get some sort of incite riot ability (like confusion, only the confused never attack each other) or suggestions (to suggest that people revolt against their nobility). Maybe some more offensive SLAs like shatter and chaos hammer.

Aversion to water as per a yuan-ti's aversion power, only as a weakness of the monster and not a power? D20 Modern also has monstrous weaknesses that might model that well.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
We did something like an incite riot ability for one of the ghazneths a little while back. We could mine that for ideas. Also, since they only have 5HD, I wouldn't want to add too much in the way of SLAs, but I could see sneak attack or something to go along with the cattiness.

Shade

Monster Junkie
It looks like a good start.

I believe the cat heads come from the Black Leopard which they serve.

I like the idea of reverse-engineering the aversion power into a weakness.

Here are the rakshasa ability scores we can use as a basis:
Str 12, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 17

These guys are only average Int (8-10).

freyar

These are lower HD and almost certainly lower CR (btw, are rakshasa considered to be over-CRed?), so maybe drop Con, Wis, and Cha a little? How about Str 12, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 9, Wis 11, Cha 15?

talinthalas

First Post
Sorry I haven't responded in a bit as I have been laid up with pneumonia. I think those stats are appropriate, Freyar. I like the incite riot ability as well. Sneak attack would be a very nice touch for these guys I think.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

I guessed that their natural weapons are claws. Do slams seem more appropriate?

When ENWorld stops moving at the speed of snail, I'll try to locate the ghazneth's incite riot ability.

freyar

I'd go with claws.

Here's what we did for incite riot on the ghazneth:
Incite Riot (Su): Merendil may expend one stored magic level to cause all creatures within 99 feet to begin rioting and looting the nearest community. This is a mind-affecting compulsion effect that lasts for 24 hours or until the mob can be calmed by some means. Each creature may make a DC 22 Will save to resist the compulsion. The save DC is Charisma-based.
Probably need to revise that for flavor and/or effect. I'm not quite sure if these things cause looting or some other kind of insurgency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads