Converting Epic Level Creatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Since most linnorms are Gargantuan, I assume we want the same here? Here are some other Gargantuan linnorms for comparison...

Stygian Linnorm: CR 16, 18 HD, Str 36, Dex 11, Con 24, Int 11, Wis 20, Cha 22
Sea Linnorm: CR 21, 26 HD, Str 38, Dex 10, Con 29, Int 14, Wis 20, Cha 21
Swamp Linnorm: CR 24, 22 HD, Str 32, Dex 10, Con 27, Int 15, Wis 20, Cha 18
Corpse Tearer: CR 28, 28 HD, Str 36, Dex 9, Con 26, Int 17, Wis 20, Cha 19

Since it's melee-centric, we could probably use the sea linnorm for inspiration, but drop the Cha a bit since dwarves usually have a Cha penalty.

So...

CR 21, 26 HD, Str 38, Dex 10, Con 29, Int 14, Wis 20, Cha 18?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Fire with some sort of poison rider. It's pretty typical for Norse/Northern dragons, and it's what I used for my firedrake in the Beowulf article.

GrayLinnorm

Explorer
I was also thinking we should give Fafnir a fear aura like a true dragon. Oddly, none of the linnorms in MM2 have one though.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Fire plus poison sounds good for breath, and so does fear, maybe frightful presence as usual for true dragons? We can be a bit different from normal linnorms.

Shade

Monster Junkie
That is odd about the lack of frightful presence. How can linnorms not be scary? :eek:

So...

Frightful Presence (Ex): All creatures with 26 or fewer Hit Dice within 240 feet of Fafnir when it charges, attacks, or flies overhead must make a DC 27 Will save or be shaken for 4d6 rounds. Creatures with fewer than 5 HD are panicked instead of shaken if they fail this save. A creature that succeeds on this save is immune to Fafnir's frightful presence for 24 hours. Fafnir is immune to the frightful presence of other dragons.

Demiurge--it looks like the editors split the poison from the firedrake's breath weapon and assigned it to the bite.

Breath Weapon (Su): 60-foot cone, damage 16d10 fire, Reflex DC 33 half. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Poison (Ex): The poison of a firedrake causes searing pain as the victim's internal organs burn. Bite, Fort DC 33 negates, initial and secondary damage 2d6 Con. In addition, any creature that takes the initial damage is sickened for 2d4 minutes.

To combine the two, would this work?

Breath Weapon (Su): 60-foot cone, damage 16d10 fire (Reflex DC 33 half). A creature damaged by Fafnir's breath weapon is also exposed to his poison (see below). The save DC is Constitution-based.

Poison (Ex): Fafnir's poison causes searing pain as the victim's internal organs burn. Bite or breath weapon, Fort DC 33 negates, initial and secondary damage 2d6 Con. In addition, any creature that takes the initial damage is sickened for 2d4 minutes. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads