Converting Epic Level Creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
OK, 22 skills at max ranks. It might be easier to say what he doesn't get! Anyway,

Bluff, Concentration, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Heal, Intimidate, Listen, Search, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot seem definite to me. That's 11. I'd also give Knowledge (arcana), (history), (nature), (religion), and (the planes) for sure. Up to 16 now. Do you care to make a case for anything else? I didn't feel like most of the physical ones were too flavorfully appropriate, and it's not clear to me he'd need Use Magic Device.

Cleon

Legend
OK, 22 skills at max ranks. It might be easier to say what he doesn't get! Anyway,

Bluff, Concentration, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Heal, Intimidate, Listen, Search, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot seem definite to me. That's 11. I'd also give Knowledge (arcana), (history), (nature), (religion), and (the planes) for sure. Up to 16 now. Do you care to make a case for anything else? I didn't feel like most of the physical ones were too flavorfully appropriate, and it's not clear to me he'd need Use Magic Device.

Would it not be easier to see what Prometheus has and then adjust them?

Prometheus has:

Intelligence: 40
Skills: Appraise +57, Balance +30, Bluff +39, Climb +48, Concentration +60, Craft (alchemy) +50, Craft (sculpting) +83, Decipher Script +60, Diplomacy +68, Disguise +12 (+14 in character), Gather Information +54, Heal +56, Intimidate +14, Jump +52, Knowledge (arcana) +70, Knowledge (geography) +55, Knowledge (history) +60, Knowledge (local) +65, Knowledge (nature) +55, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) +50, Knowledge (religion) +55, Knowledge (the planes) +55, Listen +51, Perform (oratory) +57, Perform (sing) +47, Perform (string instruments) +52, Search +50, Sense Motive +71, Spellcraft +72 (+74 scrolls), Spot +51, Survival +14 (+16 on other planes, +16 following tracks, +16 keep from getting lost, +16 aboveground), Use Magic Device +54 (+58 scrolls)

So Prometheus has skill ranks in 29 skills (He doesn't have any skill points in Disguise, Intimidate and Survival, just the base modifier plus synergy bonuses):

These skills are:
Appraise, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft (alchemy), Craft (sculpting), Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Heal, Jump, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (history), Knowledge (local), Knowledge (nature), Knowledge (nobility and royalty), Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (the planes), Listen, Perform (oratory), Perform (sing), Perform (string instruments), Search, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device

Of those, it appears he's only maxed out a few of them - Craft (sculpting), Diplomacy, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (local), Sense Motive and Spellcraft. The others are a short of being maxed, with a few being significantly short of maxed. e.g. Prometheus has 20 ranks in Jump and 30 in Perform (sing).

So, are there any of those that seem inappropriate for Andromidus, or any skills Andromidus needs that are missing?

Cleon

Legend
So, are there any of those that seem inappropriate for Andromidus, or any skills Andromidus needs that are missing?

Looking through the adventure, one of the "sets" used in Andromidus's dreamscapes is "a section of underground passage with doors and chambers" and another is "a long, twisting cave with rough walls and chambers".

That makes me think Knowledge (dungeoneering) ought to be one of his skills. How about we give him that instead of Prometheus's Perform (string instrument) and/or Perform (sing)?

freyar

Yes, I'd be fine with swapping Know. (dungeoneering) in for one or the other of the Performs or really even Know. (local) which seems weird for extraplanar titans. Local for what? Anyway, I'd probably add Intimidate also, since Andromidus seems like he'd have very good social-type skills, but it's not necessary.

Cleon

Legend
Yes, I'd be fine with swapping Know. (dungeoneering) in for one or the other of the Performs or really even Know. (local) which seems weird for extraplanar titans. Local for what? Anyway, I'd probably add Intimidate also, since Andromidus seems like he'd have very good social-type skills, but it's not necessary.

How about removing both of the Perform skills in question and giving him Knowledge (dungeoneering) AND Intimidate?

Cleon

Legend
Sure! Do you have a proposal for assigning skill ranks?

Let's see. We've got 29 skills:

Appraise, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft (alchemy), Craft (sculpting), Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Heal, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (dungeoneering), Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (history), Knowledge (local), Knowledge (nature), Knowledge (nobility and royalty), Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (the planes), Listen, Perform (oratory), Search, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device

But Andromidus only has enough 946 SPs, enough for 22 skills maxed out to 43 ranks.

Hmm... we could have seven skills maxed out to 43, nineteen with 30 ranks and three with 25 ranks, or some other arrangement with 20-30 ranks in the other skills.

Is seven enough for the key competences though?

You've suggested Bluff, Concentration, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Heal, Intimidate, Listen, Search, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot for the essential skills. That's eleven. I don't think we need Heal, Gather Information and Intimidate maxed out, and we could also shave some ranks off Search.

So how about:

7 skills with 43 ranks [maxed out] - Bluff, Concentration, Diplomacy, Listen, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot

4 skills with 40 ranks - Gather Information, Heal, Intimidate, Search

12 skills with 30 ranks - Craft (alchemy), Craft (sculpting), Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (dungeoneering), Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (history), Knowledge (local), Knowledge (nature), Knowledge (nobility and royalty), Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (the planes), Use Magic Device

6 skills with 20 ranks - Appraise, Balance, Climb, Decipher Script, Jump, Perform (oratory)

freyar

That'll do for me! We can always pick Open Minded as one of his many feats if we feel a need for more ranks.

Speaking of the feats, what do you feel like? I'd probably go for some metamagic and maybe a Quicken SLA or two.

Remove ads