Converting First Edition Monsters

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
I never noticed the bill mention. The illustration just looked like a normal snake (sans bill). I like the added bit that adds uncertainty ( some scaffolding for new DMs or hooks for experienced DMs)

So added - new link

Cleon

Legend
I never noticed the bill mention. The illustration just looked like a normal snake (sans bill). I like the added bit that adds uncertainty ( some scaffolding for new DMs or hooks for experienced DMs)

So added - new link

Yes, the 1983 original's illustration just looks like an ordinary boa, that and the fact there's no mention of beaks or birdlike features in the text of any version of the boalisk is why I was quite willing to drop the idea.

So shall we agree this serpent is finished and add it to the 5E Creatures Index?

The D&D Beyond version looks done to me. I need to update the Description in the Enworld Boalisk, but that'll only take a moment.

Cleon

Legend
Social Serpents. A curious trait of boalisks is they sometimes congregate with their fellow serpents, either other boalisks, normal or giant constrictor snakes, or a combination of animals. Such groups are still very small, containing no more than three boalisks and a similar number of constrictor snakes. A single boalisk accompanied by one or two normal constrictor snakes is far more common. Some scholars theorize that the "normal constrictor snakes" are actually juvenile boalisks and these monsters don't acquire their deadly gaze until adulthood, so the young might travel with their elders for protection. Other sages claim boalisks have deadly gazes from the time they hatch, like their relative the basilisk, and any attendant snakes are ordinary reptiles such as pythons. Whether either theory holds any truth is unknown..

Dang it, I've got a double period at the end from copy-pasting it.

Never mind, it's the proper single full stop in the D&D Beyond Boalisk and Enworld Boalisk. I'll resist the urge to correct it in post #8542473!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases