Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

Cleon

Legend
Yeah, good catch GrayLinnorm.

Updated.

1d3+1 rounds for the duration?

The original doesn't mention a duration so I suppose it lasted as long as the spell temporal stasis, which is permanent until removed.

That might be a bit much though.

How about it lasts indefinitely in conditions of severe cold (below 0° F), but victims "thaw" in 1d3+1 rounds in higher temperatures?

Cleon

Legend
That's plausible. :)

Updated.

CR 1/2?

Half a Challenge Rating's OK.

Anything else left to tackle?

Didn't I suggest adding a Reflex save to Spiny Defense? e.g.:

Spiny Defense (Ex): Any creature that hits a spiny sleeper in melee with a natural or handheld weapon (but not a reach weapon) must succeed at a DC 12 Reflex save or take 1 point of nonlethal damage from its many spines and be exposed to its frozen sleep venom (see above). The spines deals no damage to any creature with an armor bonus of +1 or higher or a natural armor bonus of +3 or higher. The save DC is Reflex based.

Apart from that possibility I think we're done with the Sleepers.

Cleon

Legend
That's plausible. :)

Updated.

CR 1/2?

Anything else left to tackle?

What's up with the "Hide +1 (+5)"?

Firstly, it doesn't have any ranks in Hide so there's no need to list it, secondly its unranked Hide should have a +10 modifier (8 from size plus 2 from Dex).

Also, it doesn't have any attacks, which makes its Weapon Finesse feat rather useless. Either change it - preferably to Ability Focus (Frozen Sleep Venom) - or give it a natural weapon.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Spiny Defense (Ex): Any creature that hits a spiny sleeper in melee with a natural or handheld weapon (but not a reach weapon) must succeed at a DC 12 Reflex save or take 1 point of nonlethal damage from its many spines and be exposed to its frozen sleep venom (see above). The spines deals no damage to any creature with an armor bonus of +1 or higher or a natural armor bonus of +3 or higher. The save DC is Reflex based.

The save DC is Reflex based, eh? :p I think it should be Will-based. :lol:

Updated.

Moving on...

Icetail
CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Arctic oceans, rivers of the Great Glacier
FREQUENCY: Very rare
ORGANIZATION: School
ACTIVE TIME: Any
DIET: Scavenger
INTELLIGENCE: Non- (0)
TREASURE: Nil
ALIGNMENT: Neutral
NO. APPEARING: 10-60
ARMOR CLASS: 10
MOVEMENT: 1, Sw 6
HIT DICE: 1/2 hp
THAC0: 20
NO. OF ATTACKS: Nil
DAMAGE/ATTACK: Nil
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Nil
SPECIAL DEFENSES: See below
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Nil
SIZE: T (6 inches long)
MORALE: Unreliable (2)
XP VALUE: 15

To the casual observer, the icetail doesn’t look like a live fish at all, but a fish skeleton with a few shreds of bluish tissue hanging from its ribs. Closer inspection, however, reveals the creature to have an actual body, complete with head, fins, and tail, all as transparent as glass. The icefish is also cold to the touch—so cold, in fact, that if a character touches a still-living icefish with his bare flesh, he suffers 1 point of damage. A dead icefish acquires the temperature of the immediate environment. Icefish may be cooked and eaten (or eaten raw, though their uncooked flesh is extremely bitter), hut if they aren.t thoroughly cooked for at least six hours, the eater risks extreme indigestion (the eater must make a successful Constitution check or suffer stomach cramps for the next 24 hours, making all attack rolls and ability checks at a - 2 penalty; movement rates are also reduced by half).

Originally appeared in FR 14 - The Great Glacier (1992).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Just modify the abilities of the last one a little, change the spiny defense to a cold defense, and give the flesh an ingested poison?

Cleon

Legend
Just modify the abilities of the last one a little, change the spiny defense to a cold defense, and give the flesh an ingested poison?

These are half the size of the previous fish, so how about reducing them to Diminutive size.

Instead of a Spiny Defense, I fancy giving them a Chill ability that's basically the reverse of a Salamander's Burn.

Agree about the ingested poison, presumably one that sickens for around a day (1d3 hours sickness for primary effect, 2d12 hours secondary?).

I'm also thinking they ought to be able to make a melee touch attack that does Cold damage.

The transparent flesh should give them a racial bonus to Hide checks.

Oh, and these are a clear candidate for the Cold subtype.

You know, these little fishies might work well as a Swarm...

Remove ads