• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

Shade

Monster Junkie
These are half the size of the previous fish, so how about reducing them to Diminutive size.

Agreed.

Instead of a Spiny Defense, I fancy giving them a Chill ability that's basically the reverse of a Salamander's Burn.

Thumbs up.

Agree about the ingested poison, presumably one that sickens for around a day (1d3 hours sickness for primary effect, 2d12 hours secondary?).

Solidarity.

I'm also thinking they ought to be able to make a melee touch attack that does Cold damage.

You have my support.

The transparent flesh should give them a racial bonus to Hide checks.

Probably.

Oh, and these are a clear candidate for the Cold subtype.

<nods agreement>

You know, these little fishies might work well as a Swarm...

Unanimous agreement. Meeting adjourned. :p

Cleon

Legend
Agreed.

Thumbs up.

Solidarity.

You have my support.

Probably.

<nods agreement>

Unanimous agreement. Meeting adjourned. :p

I knew "upgrading" you via Greater Doppleganger would come in handy. ;)

Here's a rough draft based on what we've got so far. I've cut the Dex to 11 since the original had a very poor AC.

Notice the Icetail has a Land Speed. That's a bit odd for a fish. Maybe they crawl onto ice to forage or escape predators?

Fish, Icetail
Diminutive Magical Beast (Aquatic, Cold)
Hit Dice: 1/4d10 (1 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 5 ft. (1 square), swim 20 ft.
Armor Class: 14 (+4 size), touch 14, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-16
Attack: Freezing touch +4 melee touch (1d3 cold)
Full Attack: Freezing touch +4 melee touch (1d3 cold)
Space/Reach: 1 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Freezing touch, poison
Special Qualities: Immunity to cold, low-light vision, vulnerability to fire
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +1
Abilities: Str 2, Dex 11, Con 11, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 2
Skills: Hide +20, Listen +3, Spot +3, Swim +4
Feats: 1
Environment: Cold aquatic
Organization: Solitary, pair, or school (10-60)
Challenge Rating: x
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

Description.

Stuff.

An icetail is between 6 inches and 1 foot long and weighs up to a pound.

COMBAT
Tactics.

Freezing Touch (Su): An icetail's touch attack generates a burst of extreme cold which does 1d3 cold damage. Creatures hitting an icetail with natural weapons or unarmed attacks take cold damage as though hit by the fish's attack.

Poison (Ex): Icetails have poisonous flesh, any creature that bites an icetail will be affected. DC X, primary damage sickened for 1d3 hours, secondary damage sickened for 2d12 hours. The save DC is Dexterity-based.

Skills: Icetails have a +8 racial bonus to Hide checks due to their transparent flesh. An icetail has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

In the Realms
Icetails are found primarily in the oceans and rivers of the Great Glacier.

Originally appeared in FR 14 - The Great Glacier (1992).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Icetails are looking good so far. If we're giving them a land speed, we could also give them water dependent, just so they don't risk drowning after a couple minutes. Then again, maybe they should only be crawling around for a couple of minutes.

Cleon

Legend
Fixed the spiny sleeper. I noticed we'd forgot its darkvision once it became a magical beast.

Added Icetail to Homebrews.

I wouldn't have bothered with the darkvision, not all Magical Beasts have to have it.

Not much left for the Icetail.

What feat do you fancy - Swimby Attack?

Cleon

Legend
Icetails are looking good so far. If we're giving them a land speed, we could also give them water dependent, just so they don't risk drowning after a couple minutes. Then again, maybe they should only be crawling around for a couple of minutes.

I prefer Hold Breath, either 6 or 8 times Con, so they can only leave water for a few minutes like a mudskipper.

Cleon

Legend
That works for me.

Don't think Swim-by Attack is a core feat.

It's not core, but isn't it OGL legal?

If there's a problem with using it, just swap for something else. Actually, the Icetail is such a slow swimmer Swimby isn't that much use.

How about Endurance, to help it make its Con checks to survive out of water and otherwise face the harsh perils of the frozen realms?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Endurance appeals, and I don't mind hold breath. However, if we use hold breath, will we need to remove the Aquatic subtype? Since it is technically a fish, that feels odd. :erm:

Remove ads