Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I've been outvoted! *sniff* :.-( ;)

Sounds like a plan on the stats, and we might as well go ahead and add that spiny defense SQ.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ok, do we really want to base the poison on temporal stasis? That's a pretty powerful effect for such low HD critters. Then again, I guess it's not to hard to remove.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'd rather not. Dex damage would probably suffice, leaving the victim immobile at 0. At worst, I'd make the secondary damage paralysis.

Shade

Monster Junkie
If the affected character (or creature) fails to save vs. poison, he immediately suffers the effects similar to a temporal stasis spell, and an ice-like glaze forms over his body. Neutralize poison or a similar spell negates the effect, as does certain herbal treatments known by some Ulutiun healers.

It sounds like we could go for cold damage as well. Is there a precedent for freezing solid?

Cleon

Legend
Ok, do we really want to base the poison on temporal stasis? That's a pretty powerful effect for such low HD critters. Then again, I guess it's not to hard to remove.

Well we could base the effects on a similar but lower level spell instead, namely sepia snake sigil.

Maybe the "suspension" effects only last as long as the ice crust does, so the frozen victim returns to normal if they're attacked so the ice breaks? That'll still be useful as a defense but removes some of the more exploitable elements. Shorten the duration to a few rounds and bob's your uncle.

I don't like the "plain paralysis" approach because they'd risk drowning while frozen, which they wouldn't if it was a "suspension" effect.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Well we could base the effects on a similar but lower level spell instead, namely sepia snake sigil.

Maybe the "suspension" effects only last as long as the ice crust does, so the frozen victim returns to normal if they're attacked so the ice breaks? That'll still be useful as a defense but removes some of the more exploitable elements. Shorten the duration to a few rounds and bob's your uncle.

I like where this is headed, but would prefer warming a victim up to release them, rather than attacking them. I see it more as a rimy crust than being encased in ice.

Cleon

Legend
I like where this is headed, but would prefer warming a victim up to release them, rather than attacking them. I see it more as a rimy crust than being encased in ice.

I was thinking being warmed up would free them too, but I liked the "cracking the rime" idea because it means an enemy can't just wail away at a frozen victim while they're helpless, since the victim will be freed by the hard blows.

Remove ads