Converting "generic setting" second edition monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Xorn are immune to fire and cold and have resistance to electricity 10. They also have DR 5/bludgeoning, and the MMII (1983) version of xaren look like they should have that, also.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Since these fellas were originally smaller and weaker than xorn, but xorn now come in Small size and weaker, shall we just use the ability scores of the minor xorn as a baseline?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Should we have a minor, average and elder xaren? Or are we going to say that there's only one sort?

Demiurge out.

freyar

From a quick eyeball, the three kinds of xorn just look like advanced creatures (they did the ability boosts differently, but that seems about it), so I'd vote no.

From the minor xorn: Str 15, Dex 10, Con 15, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 10. Any changes?

We also want the same Earthglide ability. I think we've agreed on immune to fire and cold, resistance to electricity 10, and DR 5/bludgeoning.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
They appear to be pretty sneaky (surprise on a 1-6) and rude (demanding metal from adventurers). I'd raise their Dex by 2 and lower their Cha by 2, just to differentiate them a little.

Demiurge out.

freyar

Looks like a good start.
Unlike ordinary xorn, they crave magical metal as food. For each plus of enchantment they eat, they permanently gain 1 hit point, up to their maximum of 45. Even after reaching their maximum growth, they still require magical metal to maintain their health. They can smell magical metal up to 40 feet away.

If attacked with a magical weapon, xaren can make an attack roll against AC -2 to bite an opponent's weapon. If they hit, the weapon must save vs. crushing blow or be destroyed.

Improved Sunder as a bonus feat but only vs magic weapons? Not quite sure how to handle that. Also, gaining permanent hp seems a bit inelegant, but I don't know quite what to suggest as a replacement. Temp hp seems too weak but a Con bonus seems maybe too strong. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads