Converting "generic setting" second edition monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
They sound more like, well... people than monsters. Small, superintelligent people who live in the Underdark and keep menageries of surface-world monsters. I think we should just give them HD by class, a racial bonus to attack with bows, spell resistance and a high Int. LA +2 or +3, like a duergar or svirfneblin.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yes. Combine this with a little innate spellcasting, maybe the bow bonus could instead(?) be some imbuing ability ripped off the arcane archer.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I don't think I like them with innate spellcasting, as it says there's a chance of having a spellcaster with them. We could say that they qualify for the arcane archer prestige class, though, or that any arrow they fire has a +1 or +2 enhancement bonus.

GrayLinnorm

Explorer
If they're not going to have racial HD, then they should be humanoids then. Statting a fey as a 1st level warrior doesn't work because they have the wrong HD type. (Yes I know uldra were statted as warriors. I still say they shouldn't have been.)

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Jaebrin from MMV have the same deal, being fey that swap out their racial HD for class levels. So, for that matter, do pixies, which are core.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Pixies also advance by HD, though.

Other precedents exist, though: The uldra in Frostburn are fey 1st-level warriors, and the killoren in Races of the Wild only advance by character class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads