• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting "generic setting" Second Edition monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Let's go with dispelling blow. Normal dispel mechanics with a reasonable caster level?

But we're getting ahead of ourselves. 11HD for each tomb warden and something more for the heart?

Shade

Monster Junkie
That sounds reasonable. Start the heart at 16 HD?

We might look to the Caryatid Column for inspiration for its "passive form".

freyar

Ok, we've got this for the stats:
Cleon said:
As for its immunity to weapons, I think I'd convert that to a Stone Golem's DR 10/adamantine.

For that matter, I'd turn to the SRD Stone Golem for the basics of the "Tomb Warden" stats - e.g. take a Stone Golem, reduce it one size step to Medium (for Str 21, Dex 11, NA +16), cut its HD to 11, give it a single 2d8 slam attack.

Start with that and keep normal golem mental stats?

Cleon

Legend
I agree with your assessment on using the stats for a stone golem as a start. As you already know, I strongly dislike the immune to natural defenses. We'll see what freyar's opinion is.

Pardon? I see no ability to ignore natural defences, it's magical protections that don't work, which is little different from an anti-magic effect.

What exactly are you disliking?

freyar

I think the homebrews looks pretty good so far, though I wonder if the dispelling blow should specifically target only effects that add a magical AC bonus.

Here's the Pathfinder version of the caryatid column "statue" ability:
Statue (Ex)

A caryatid column can stand perfectly still, emulating a statue (usually one that is holding up the ceiling, like a carved column). An observer must succeed on a DC 20 Perception check to notice the caryatid column is alive.
The CC version doesn't seem to have an equivalent, and I don't have my ToH handy.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Here's the Fiend Folio version:

Column Form (Ex): When at rest (not commanded, or waiting to fulfill a command), a caryatid column takes the form of a simple column of stone. This column is about 2 feet in diameter, and it extends up to the ceiling of the chamber to a height of 25 feet, whichever is less. Unless commanded otherwise, a caryatid column remains in this form until attacked, and it even allows creatures to climb it (Climb check DC 15).

A caryatid column in column form looks like a pillar in most respects. It does not radiate magic, and true seeing does not reveal its humanoid form. Careful examination of the column (Search check DC 25) reveals very faint and distorted lines that make the pillar resemble a woman with a sword. Anyone who successfully makes a Knowledge (architecture and engineering) check (DC 12) notes that the column serves no structural purpose since it bears none of the ceiling's weight. A close examination of the top of the column (Search check DC 15) or a keen eye (Spot check DC 20) shows that the column is not cemented or joined to the celing. Dwarves and other creatures with stonecunning receive a free Search check as though actively looking when they pass within 10 feet of a caryatid column.

Changing forms is a free action, and a caryatid column has darkvision (60-foot range).

Remove ads