• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting "generic setting" Second Edition monsters

Cleon

Legend
No good idea on the name, but I think Cleon's original "Wall Bound" ability looks like a simpler base.

Okay, let's try expanding that a bit and seeing were it gets us. I borrowed a bit of the Xorn's Earth Glide SA to replace the previous meld into stone and phase door ability, since I feel that may be a better match.

Wall Bound (Su): A tomb warden is part of an enchanted stone wall. The wall must be at least 5 feet thick and voluminous enough to contain all the tomb wardens that are part of it (i.e. a wall with 4 wardens must occupy at least 4 5-foot squares). Some walls are far larger than the wardens bound to them, giving these golems space to maneuver.

A tomb warden can take the form of a shallow carving on the surface of its wall. In its relief carving form, the golem can see and hear out of the stone surface that it is melded with. The golem can also take on a three dimensional form and move through the stone of its wall as easily as a fish swims through water. This burrowing leaves behind no tunnel or hole, nor does it create any ripple or other signs of its presence. Tomb wardens may never leave the wall they are part of. It may lean out of its wall to attack intruders, but must keep at least half its body within the wall. Any carvings or paintings on the wall will shift and alter to accommodate the movement of the tomb warden. The tomb warden can switch between its 2D and 3D forms as a free action.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
We also want this (using numbers from the original text):

Rejuvenation (Su): A destroyed tomb warden is repaired and restored to a fullly functioning state with maximum hp in one month, assuming the associated tomb warden heart still functions.

Although, thinking about it, it might be more interesting to give them fast healing or a quicker rejuvenation time to make it more relevant to combat (or adventurers passing through more than once).

freyar

That could work (if we kept to fast healing 1 or something). The alternative might be no fast healing, but 24 hours rejuvenation. Let's see if Cleon has an opinion.

Cleon

Legend
That could work (if we kept to fast healing 1 or something). The alternative might be no fast healing, but 24 hours rejuvenation. Let's see if Cleon has an opinion.

I'd go for both. A few points of fast healing so if an intruder comes back a few minutes later the Tomb Warden is back to full strength, plus rejuvenation 24 hours.

Fast Healing 1 ?

Rejuvenation (Su): A destroyed tomb warden is repaired and restored to a fullly functioning state with maximum hp after 24 hours, provided the tomb warden heart it is linked to still functions.

freyar

No, I think these are good.

CR 7?

Want to hold off on the construction till the heart is done, or just get it over with?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Hmm...I suppose the question is whether they are created individually or as a set...

Finishing up some other loose ends...

Organization: Solitary or wall (2–x)

Advancement: x

A tomb warden is 5 feet tall and weighs around x pounds.

Remove ads