• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Greyhawk monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yeah, I just always blank on that bit about Multiattack.

So, anyway, what do you think about those feat suggestions?

freyar

Looking good. Org, alignment, and treasure all look ok to me and can be de-redded (how many d's should there be in that new word?). Advancement could be maybe 9-16 HD and 17-32HD? What do you think?

Cleon

Legend
Looking good. Org, alignment, and treasure all look ok to me and can be de-redded (how many d's should there be in that new word?).

I'm OK with the Alignment and Treasure...

...Updating Monarch Scorpion Working Draft...

...but aren't so sure about the Org. The original Monarch Scorpion had "No. Appearing: 1-3".

On balance, I think I'd change it to the Huge Monstrous Scorpion's "Organization: Solitary or colony (2-5)".

Advancement could be maybe 9-16 HD and 17-32HD? What do you think?

I was thinking more "9-15 HD (Huge), 16-24 (Gargantuan)".

freyar

Odd, I must have looked at the master scorpion's org. In any case, I agree with the suggested org and am fine with switching the advancement as you propose. I guess we could do the tactics before worrying about CR, but I think I'd peg them at about CR 8. They're better than an erinyes in some ways but worse in others.

Cleon

Legend
Odd, I must have looked at the master scorpion's org. In any case, I agree with the suggested org and am fine with switching the advancement as you propose.

Updating Monarch Scorpion Working Draft...

I guess we could do the tactics before worrying about CR, but I think I'd peg them at about CR 8. They're better than an erinyes in some ways but worse in others.

Let's see... An Erinyes is a lot more mobile, being able to fly and greater teleport at will, and is a lot better at ranged combat. The Monarch Scorpion does a lot more damage in melee. I guess the entanglement of the erinyes' rope of entanglement is roughly equivalent to the stunning of the Monarch Scorpion's Psychic Blast, but the scorpion can do the latter at will.

How does the Monarch Scorpion compare to an Illithid, which also has an at-will mind blast? The Mind Flayer's also CR 8 but it's a lot weaker in melee, and its brain-ripping Extract power might not be as lethal as the scorpion's venomous sting considering how difficult it is to apply. Overall, the Monarch Scorpion looks on paper to be a little deadlier than an Illithid in a fight, so I'm wondering whether it might be a weak CR 9.

It seems as comparable to the CR 9 Bone Devil as it does to the CR 8 Erinyes. The former even has a venomous sting!

Oh, and consider an alternative approach. The Huge Monstrous Scorpion is CR 7. How much deadlier is the Monarch Scorpion? It's got a low of extra powers and better melee attacks, so are those equal to a +1 (for CR 8) or a +2 (for CR 9)?

I'm leaning towards Challenge Rating 9 at the moment.

freyar

It's definitely a worse than the bone devil defensively and is roughly equal offensively (less damage output but stronger poison). The mind flayer does seem a bit weaker than the monarch scorpion, but the mind blast is stronger in the sense that the stunning lasts longer. I will certainly agree that it's considerably better than a Huge monstrous scorpion.

Well, it seems to me to be between CR 8 and 9. Given how imprecise these things are, I don't think it matters much either way. CR 9 will work.

Cleon

Legend
It's definitely a worse than the bone devil defensively and is roughly equal offensively (less damage output but stronger poison). The mind flayer does seem a bit weaker than the monarch scorpion, but the mind blast is stronger in the sense that the stunning lasts longer. I will certainly agree that it's considerably better than a Huge monstrous scorpion.

As for the Mind Flayer comparison, the difference between 1d4 rounds and 3d4 rounds of stunning would be academic if the stunned opponent is killed in a round. The fact the Illithid's mind blast has a range of 60 ft. might prove a more significant difference, since the Monarch Scorpion's 30 ft. range might leave most of its opponents out of range.

Well, it seems to me to be between CR 8 and 9. Given how imprecise these things are, I don't think it matters much either way. CR 9 will work.

I'm still undecided on the Challenge Rating, I'm fine with CR 8 too.

Maybe we should resolve the question with a dice roll?

[roll0].

freyar

Guess it's CR 8! You're also right about the range for the mind flayer. I didn't even look at that comparison.

Tactics: Uses psychic blast first as a ranged attack, then enters melee? Judicious use of psionics?

Cleon

Legend
Guess it's CR 8! You're also right about the range for the mind flayer. I didn't even look at that comparison.

Tactics: Uses psychic blast first as a ranged attack, then enters melee? Judicious use of psionics?

Let's see...

The monarch scorpion is an ambush hunter, hiding beneath the sand to attack victims who wander too close. An active monarch scorpion normally casts alarm, blur and detect magic every minute or two; its copious use of silent alarms means it often knows potential victims are nearby long before the creatures notice the scorpion. Given time, it will cast spell resistance on itself before combat - especially if it detect magics on its opponents.

A monarch scorpion typically opens combat by closing to just outside melee range and unleashing a psychic blast or greater shout, trying to stun as many opponents as possible. Over the next rounds, it attacks with its natural weapons or a psionic power as the circumstances dictate. A monarch scorpion's favorite psionic combat tactics are using vampiric touch on grappled opponents to absorb damage from attacks, dominating enemies and ordering them to kill their own allies or submit to being eaten, or releasing another psychic blast or its greater shout.

This monster is so vicious and malevolent it seldom breaks off from combat, usually because its enemy is so powerful and resistance to stunning and poison attacks that continuing to fight would be suicide. On these rare occasions, the monarch scorpion usually just runs away as fast as it can.

Remove ads