• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Greyhawk monsters

Cleon

Legend
Yeah, that works well.

Updated.

Skills and Feats next I suppose.

Listen, Sense Motive, Spot and Survival?

With a +4 racial in Sense Motive (to go with its Detect Hostile Intent ability) and +4 racial to Track by Scent?

Say, 3 apiece in Listen and Spot and 1 in Sense Motive.

Alertness and Iron Will for the feats, with Track as a bonus?

For the weight and languages, I'm thinking we can use what the Shadow Mastiff has:

A shadow mastiff weisshund is slightly more than 2 feet high at the shoulder and weighs about 200 pounds.

Weisshunds cannot speak, but they understand Common.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm not fond of Iron Will for these critters, but I love all the rest.

Updated.

How about Weapon Focus (bite) for the other feat (like a wolf)?

Cleon

Legend
I'm not fond of Iron Will for these critters, but I love all the rest.

Updated.

How about Weapon Focus (bite) for the other feat (like a wolf)?

Weapon Focus'll do, but how about Multiattack since they've got three natural attacks?

Speaking of which, I would much prefer Bite to be their primary attack, not claws.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yeah, Multiattack makes the best sense. The bite does work better as primary.

Updated.

Environment: See text?

Organization: Solitary or team (2-x)

Challenge Rating: 3?

Advancement: x

Cleon

Legend
Yeah, Multiattack makes the best sense. The bite does work better as primary.

Updated.

Environment: See text?

Well the original would suggest "Any land" but we could make it "Any land with temples of St. Cuthbert" ?

Organization: Solitary or team (2-x)

I'd think "Domesticated" like SRD horses and dogs would make more sense.

Challenge Rating: 3?

That seems OK.

Advancement: x

5-8 HD (Medium)? Ironically enough I don't fancy Advancing them to Large. Maybe 5-6 HD (Medium) like the Medium-sized range of a Shadow Mastiff.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Well the original would suggest "Any land" but we could make it "Any land with temples of St. Cuthbert" ?

Let's split the difference with "Any land (see text)". I like to follow the standard presentation and not put really specific locales on the Environment line.

I'd think "Domesticated" like SRD horses and dogs would make more sense.

Good idea!

5-8 HD (Medium)? Ironically enough I don't fancy Advancing them to Large. Maybe 5-6 HD (Medium) like the Medium-sized range of a Shadow Mastiff.

Let's go with the latter.

Updated.

Cleon

Legend
Are we finished here?

Do we want a training entry? I think I'd be happy leaving it out and following the normal rules. Since Cuthbert's Church doesn't sell them we don't need a cost.

Oh, and why did we decide not to do anything with "They have heavy, loose skin which provides protection and agility. Even when grappled by an opponent or by another animal’s jaws, their loose skin allows them to twist and turn toward an opponent in order to continue the attack. Their thick fur makes it difficult for other animals to hold them with their jaws."

e.g.

Supple Skin (Ex): A weisshund has a +4 bonus to resist grapples due to its heavy, loose and elastic skin.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads