D&D 1E Converting later-edition magic items & monsters to 1e

the Jester

Legend
So I'm running a 1e game as well as a 4e game at the moment, and both are going smashingly well, thank you very much! They're set in the same milieu, and so I sometimes find myself converting material from one system to the other. I'm doing that now- converting a dungeon from 4e to 1e (and I'll probably end up doing a 5e iteration before long, too, as it is a megadungeon).

On to the point! I find that I sometimes must convert material that wasn't in 1e. For instance, twig blights and arbalasters and gear hounds. Most of the time, it's not a problem at all, but sometimes I come to a screeching halt when I have a feeling that something existed in 1e, but I don't have the source.

ANYway, what do you think the 1e xp value of an immovable rod ought to be?

The 3e rule for magic item pricing applies.

To wit - put the new magic item in one hand. Put another comparable benchmark item in your other hand. Ask yourself - if I only had the money to buy one of these, which one would I buy? If the new item is a clear winner, increase the price and compare again.

When you get to the point that you have trouble deciding which one is more worth the cost - you're about in the right area.

the Jester

Legend
For the record, I'm shocked at how fast it is to retroconvert things to 1e, at least when I'm just doing stat blocks for adventures and the like.

Remove ads