• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Maztica and Horde monsters

Big Mac

Explorer
According to the Total number of unconverted D&D creatures thread Maztica is finished. And according to the Pocket reference: Creatures from the Horde setting thread there is only one Horde creature left. This one:

BOZ said:
Ambuchar Devayam/Tan Chin

So I think it is worth getting this one monster into the queue, so that this thread, the Pocket reference: Creatures from the Horde setting thread can be completed and 3rd edition can have two complete 3rd edition campaign settings.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Big Mac, Ambuchar Devayam is the creature currently being converted in this thread! ;)

Here is how far the conversion has progressed so far.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Is the AC good enough, or do we want to add a profane bonus?

Skills: 8 at 19 ranks

Feats: 6

Organization: Solitary or x (probably some number of dowagu)

Treasure: Triple standard? (He resides in a tomb of a rich fallen empire)

Big Mac

Explorer
Echohawk said:
Big Mac, Ambuchar Devayam is the creature currently being converted in this thread! ;)

Ooops. I think I missed the transition from the last monster to this one. Sorry for any confusion I caused.

Echohawk said:
Here is how far the conversion has progressed so far.

I never used the original, but the conversion is looking pretty good.

There is a bit of text linking this creature to other planes:

"Ambuchar Devayam spends most of his time in Solon in the Star Houses or the Ebony Temple, wherein his crystal phylactery resides. The Ebony Temple has portals to various unknown planes, and it is assumed that the unnamed plane upon which his essence resides can be reached there. It is said that acquiring four ebony artifacts of the Imaskari from these other planes, and tossing them into the Bottomless Pit of Fire in the Ebony Temple will destroy Ambuchar Devayam forever."

Given that the FRCS outer planes have been somewhat renamed, I wonder if this monster needs a sidebar that links this creature to planes mentioned on pages 256-258 of FRCS. The fact that the creature speaks Infernal, implies that it would travel to outer planes where Infernal is spoken.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I think we still need to revise the Stamp ability. Let's also given him the profane AC bonus (+4?) just to help him out a little if he loses some Dex while possessing someone.

Bluff?, Concentration, Intimidate?, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (history), Knowledge (the planes), Spellcraft, Use Magic Device?

Should we put something in the flavor that he has to bestow so many negative levels per week or return to his home demiplane? I'm not so sure that we need to specify what planes he visits, since the original was pretty vague (I think the specific locations listed are actually in his "hometown" on Toril).

freyar

That he "may place a dark tattoo upon a creature as long as he possesses some corporeal creature." (As opposed to just "upon a creature he currently possesses.")

Feats: Did we decide that Spell Penetration and Spell Focus apply to SLAs? Definitely Ability Focus (possession), since it's probably the most important thing for him.

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
That he "may place a dark tattoo upon a creature as long as he possesses some corporeal creature." (As opposed to just "upon a creature he currently possesses.")

Will fix.

freyar said:
Feats: Did we decide that Spell Penetration and Spell Focus apply to SLAs? Definitely Ability Focus (possession), since it's probably the most important thing for him.

Yes to the former, no to the latter.

freyar

Ability Focus (possession), Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration, maybe Quicken or Empower some of those SLAs?

Should we think about bumping up his caster level any or should it always be tied to HD?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Caster level can be higher (or lower). Equal to HD is just the norm, but not the rule. Wanna go to 20th?

We could add an ability which we've used before that allows him to apply the Quicken or Empower Spell-Like Ability to any SLA he possesses (still limited to 3/day total). I forget which creatures we've given it to, but it should be fairly easy to reproduce.

Remove ads