Converting Maztica and Horde monsters

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
going to try to take a look at h'calos tomorrow. magical beast is best?

i know some of his combat text is hard to figure exactly what it would be... i guess a crush attack makes enough sense as anything.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Magical beast seems appropriate. Vermin are mindless, so they're out. H'Calos seems similar to a remorhaz, which is a magical beast.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i rewrote the combat text as follows. as for the crush attack, it seems that he can do that in the same round as a swallow or rend attack - maybe it's a move-equivalent action?

COMBAT
H’Calos likes to attack from below the ground, by rising up and attacking unsuspecting surface creatures. It selects its prey by the noise they make, which vibrates through the earth. It will typically emerge from below at high velocity, taking a single target with it and trying to swallow it. Failing that, H’Calos will drop its prey (which can try to hold on to the falling beast), and plunge back down the next round.

As it reaches ground level, H’Calos will attempt another swallow attack on the ground. If the original target is still alive and holding on to H’Calos, it will attempt to rend the creature while crashing to the ground. Anything underneath H’Calos at that time is subject to a crush attack. H’Calos takes no damage from this maneuver, though it is quite vulnerable to attacks the whole time. If H’Calos grapples or rends an opponent while on the ground, it will usually drag the creature underground.

Shade

Monster Junkie
For the crush attack, I made it a full-round action rather than standard, since crush is usually for flying creatures, and H'Calos actually has to rear up. But I don't see any reason it couldn't be a standard action for H'Calos as well.

Crush: DC 28. The save DC is Constitution-based. Deals 4d8+24 damage.

Frightful Presence: DC 21. The save DC is Charisma-based. Radius - 200 ft. (as mountain landwyrm) or 60 ft. (as tarrasque) or something else?

Rend: Deals additional 2d6+24 points of damage.

Swallow Whole: Looking at similar Gargantuan and Colossal creatures...

-The tarrasque’s gullet can hold 2 Huge, 8 Large, 32 Medium, 128 Small, or 512 Tiny or smaller creatures. (Colossal)

-A Gargantuan fiendwurm's gizzard can hold 2 Huge, 8 Large, 32 Medium-size, or 128 Small or smaller opponents.

-A cloud ray's throat can hold 2 Huge, 8 Large, 32 Medium-size, or 128 Small or smaller creatures. (Colossal)

-An ulgurstasta's maw can hold 2 Huge, 8 Large, 32 Medium-size, or 128 Small or smaller opponents. (Gargantuan)

...I'd say we can safely go with 2 Huge, 8 Large, 32 Medium, and either "128 Small, or 512 Tiny or smaller creatures" or "128 Small or smaller opponents".

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i don't want to waste a whole lot of time trying to figure this guy out, so i'll just go with your figures.

for frightful presence radius, i'll go with 100, simply because h'calos is a lot bigger than the tarrasque, therefore a lot more opponents would be able to see him as he rises straight up out of the ground. ;)

for the swallow bit, i figured to make it like the tarrasque, since that is the only 3.5 creature represented. ;)

now, what's left... well, as always, skills & feats...

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
for frightful presence radius, i'll go with 100, simply because h'calos is a lot bigger than the tarrasque, therefore a lot more opponents would be able to see him as he rises straight up out of the ground. ;)

That works for me.

BOZ said:
for the swallow bit, i figured to make it like the tarrasque, since that is the only 3.5 creature represented. ;)

Good point.

Krishnath said:
Skills: Hide, Listen, Move Silently, & Spot?

Also, a small note, I don't think that it should be able to speak at all.

I agree with everything Krishnath just said, except for possibly Hide. :) Since it gets a -16 size penalty and a -2 Dex penalty to Hide, we'll need to put most of the ranks in Hide for it to break even.

For feats, how about Awesome Blow, Improved Critical (bite), Improved Critical (claw), Improved Initiative, Improved Overrun, Multiattack, and Power Attack?

Remove ads