Converting monsters from Dragon magazine (Part Two)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
demiurge1138 said:
Paizo just set a precedent for slams with rend, actually. Their "ogre degenerate", from Classic Monsters Revisited, has a "pummel" SA--acts as rend, with the delightful side effect of Fort save or dazed for a round.

Cool!

demiurge1138 said:
By injected, do you mean injury poisons? I say simplify things; make them immune to poisons of all sorts.

Poison gaffe #2. :heh: Yep, I meant injury.

I'm fine with simplifying to all poisons, though.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ok, then, rend with slams, then. :D

I'm fine with granting immunity to all poisons, since you both seem to be for it.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Slam damage was originally 5d6. That's quite high for a Large creature (normally 1d6). In fact, most giants do less than average slam damage for their size (1d4 for fire, frost, and stone at Large). So...stick with 1d4 like the other giants, go with 1d6 since they seem to rely a little more on their slams, or something else?

Resistance to cold 20 and force 20?

Also, a whale's blindsight is limited to 120 ft. I think the current 600 ft. for these guys is a bit much. Thoughts?

freyar

Let's do 1d6 on slams plus the rend, then.

Resistance 20 is good.

I guess we should stick with 120 ft, then.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Shall we modify this for our sea giant?

Kna Crossbow: A kna uses a specially designed crossbow that is not subject to the normal -2 penalty on ranged attack rolls for every five feet of distance underwater. Additionally, its range increment is unaffected in aquatic environs. Kna crossbows are always masterwork quality and are often sumptuously decorated.

Shade

Monster Junkie
SPECIAL ATTACKS: hurling rocks for 2-20 hp damage

2d6+10 like the fire giant?

Rock Throwing (Ex): The range increment is 120 feet for a sea giant’s thrown rocks. (same as frost and fire)?

Rock Catching (Ex): A giant of at least Large size can catch Small, Medium, or Large rocks (or projectiles of similar shape).

Once per round, a giant that would normally be hit by a rock can make a Reflex save to catch it as a free action. The DC is 15 for a Small rock, 20 for a Medium one, and 25 for a Large one. (If the projectile provides a magical bonus on attack rolls, the DC increases by that amount.) The giant must be ready for and aware of the attack in order to make a rock catching attempt.

SPECIAL DEFENSES: Resistance to cold, pressure, and poison

Water Dangers said:
Very deep water is not only generally pitch black, posing a navigational hazard, but worse, it deals water pressure damage of 1d6 points per minute for every 100 feet the character is below the surface. A successful Fortitude save (DC 15, +1 for each previous check) means the diver takes no damage in that minute. Very cold water deals 1d6 points of nonlethal damage from hypothermia per minute of exposure.

How's this?

Water Pressure Tolerance (Ex): Sea giants take no damage from water pressure at depths of less than 1 mile.

freyar

Yes to all the above, including 2d6+10 thrown rock damage. Add a reference to Water dangers to Water Pressure Tolerance.

I'm not seeing anything else necessary for the lesser sea giants. Anyone else see anything?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Skills: 45 (+8 Swim)
Many giants have Climb, Craft (any one), Intimidate, Jump, and Spot

Feats: 5
Many giants have Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Overrun, Improved Sunder, Power Attack

Challenge Rating: 9? (They have less HD than a frost giant, but the resistances and blindsight probably balance out.)

Treasure: Standard like most giants?

Level Adjustment: +6? (fire and frost are +4, and these guys have two high resistances, a swim speed, and great blindsight range)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads