Converting monsters from Dragon magazine (Part Two)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Based on that text, I'd say this should suffice:

Hold Breath (Ex): A zeuglodon can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to 8 x its Constitution score before it risks drowning.

RavinRay

Explorer
I got a different figure than that: 19 (Con) * 8 rounds/Con * 6 sec/round / 60 sec/min = 15.2 minutes. The Con score * 8 is the highest multiplier in Stormwrack isn't it?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Oops! I was thinking it was minutes!

I believe I've seen creatures go as high as 10, but I can't find an example right now. But it would take a very large multiplier to get to an hour.

How about reverse-engineering this?

Water Dependent (Ex): Sahuagin can survive out of the water for 1 hour per 2 points of Constitution (after that, refer to the drowning rules on page 304 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
RavinRay said:
I got a different figure than that: 19 (Con) * 8 rounds/Con * 6 sec/round / 60 sec/min = 15.2 minutes. The Con score * 8 is the highest multiplier in Stormwrack isn't it?
Oh, yeah, you're right, 15-16 minutes. I multiplied by Con=10 for some reason. But still I think Shade's idea works best.

Air Dependent (Ex): A type I sea giant can survive underwater for 10 minutes per two points of Constitution (after that, refer to the drowning rules on page 304 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide).

That would give them 90 minutes, which is a little longer but probably not a big deal.

Shade

Monster Junkie
That'll work. And I propose that we call them "lesser" and "greater" rather than "type I" and "type II" from here on out. ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

All sea giants have a natural armor class of 6 which they can augment. Amphibious sea giants may wear specially made armor of leather (improving AC by one or two places) and carry a shield; marine sea giants are often attired in armor made of giant shells or the hides of sea beasts (improving AC by two to five places) and often bear shields made from the shell of a dragon turtle or an archelon. Although they can do great damage with their fists, sea giants often carry weapons; either type may be found carrying trident and net, spear, or a form of heavy crossbow which is usable underwater -- all sized appropriately for use by giants, of course, and doing twice (for Type I) or three times (for Type II) the damage of a normal-sized weapon of the same sort.

Besides a slam attack, what weapons shall we stick on the attack lines? If we go with a two-handed weapon or two weapons, no shield.

If a sea giant attacks barehanded against a size L opponent and the 'to hit' roll is a natural 18 or higher, the giant has succeeded in grabbing his foe with both hands, and can do additional rending damage of 3-18 hp damage (for Type I) or 4-24 hp damage (for Type II) in the same round.

Interesting. Is their precedent for rend with slams?

As a byproduct of their ability to withstand the cold and pressure of the ocean depths, sea giants take only one-half normal damage from cold-based attacks and the various Bigby's hand spells (save, when applicable, for one-quarter damage). They are unaffected by injected poisons of any sort, since the toxin is simply absorbed by the layer of insulating fat which protects their bodies. Both types of sea giant possess infravision (12" range) and a form of underwater sonar which they use for navigation and identification in the lightless depths, to a range of 600'.

Some interesting stuff here. Something akin to evasion for cold and force effects? Simplify to immunity to poison or limit it to injected and contact poisons? Blindsight/blindsense 600 ft.?

Last edited:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Shade said:
Besides a slam attack, what weapons shall we stick on the attack lines? If we go with a two-handed weapon or two weapons, no shield.
I like trident for melee with a shield and net or special crossbow for ranged. Too complicated?

Interesting. Is their precedent for rend with slams?
I don't know, but I think we should do it. Of course, the bit about rolling an 18 could just mean that they get Improved Crit (slam) as a bonus feat and some sort of augment critical ability.

Some interesting stuff here. Something akin to evasion for cold and force effects? Simplify to immunity to poison or limit it to injected and contact poisons? Blindsight/blindsense 600 ft.?

I think the cold/force bit should be more like resistance (at a suitably high value). I would make it immunity to injected & contact poisons only. I like blindsight 600 ft.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Paizo just set a precedent for slams with rend, actually. Their "ogre degenerate", from Classic Monsters Revisited, has a "pummel" SA--acts as rend, with the delightful side effect of Fort save or dazed for a round.

By injected, do you mean injury poisons? I say simplify things; make them immune to poisons of all sorts.

Demiurge out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads