Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That all looks good to me.

It also needs Swallow Whole. I'm not sure how to work it so that it will only Swallow stunned opponents, though. Maybe give it the usual Imp Grab and note in tactics that it only tries to grab stunned opponents?

Cleon

Legend
That all looks good to me.

It also needs Swallow Whole. I'm not sure how to work it so that it will only Swallow stunned opponents, though. Maybe give it the usual Imp Grab and note in tactics that it only tries to grab stunned opponents?

Wouldn't it make more sense if it did not have Improved Grab? Then if it tries to grab & swallow an opponent it will provoke attacks of opportunity, explaining why it avoids swallowing enemies unless they're stunned.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yeah, I thought about that. The problem is that stunned victims still seem to be able to defend themselves, which I would assume means they can make opposed grapple checks against the grapple. But I guess avoiding AoOs is a big benefit from Imp Grab.

OK, then, Swallow Whole without Improved Grab. Works for me.

Cleon

Legend
Yeah, I thought about that. The problem is that stunned victims still seem to be able to defend themselves, which I would assume means they can make opposed grapple checks against the grapple. But I guess avoiding AoOs is a big benefit from Imp Grab.

OK, then, Swallow Whole without Improved Grab. Works for me.

Considering they're Gargantuan creatures with high Strength, the grapple check's unlikely to be a problem.

Cleon

Legend

Good!

We need to decide on a size limit for swallowing.

Small/Medium/Large for Juvenile/Adult/Elder seems the most sensible.

You know, I'm wondering whether we should upgrade the sizes so the Adult is Gargantuan. Maybe...

Elder: Colossal, 24 HD, Str 42, Dex 11, Con 27, NA +18, stamp 6d8
Adult: Gargantuan, 12 HD, Str 30, Dex 11, Con 21, NA +12, stamp 4d6
Juvenile: Huge, 6 HD, Str 18, Dex 11, Con 15, NA +7, stamp 2d6
"Baby": Large, 4 HD, Str 14, Dex 11, Con 15, NA +4, stamp 1d8

Cleon

Legend
You know, I'm wondering whether we should upgrade the sizes so the Adult is Gargantuan. Maybe...

Elder: Colossal, 24 HD, Str 42, Dex 11, Con 27, NA +18, stamp 6d8
Adult: Gargantuan, 12 HD, Str 30, Dex 11, Con 21, NA +12, stamp 4d6
Juvenile: Huge, 6 HD, Str 18, Dex 11, Con 15, NA +7, stamp 2d6
"Baby": Large, 4 HD, Str 14, Dex 11, Con 15, NA +4, stamp 1d8

After mulling it over, I prefer the current Large/Huge/Gargantuan sizes, mainly because they allow the Elder to advance a size to Colossal. (If I remember correctly they're also a closer match to the original's sizes, which helps).

Since they're sauropod-shaped creatures they will have very long necks, so shouldn't we give it extra Reach with its bite attack? I'm thinking either 10 ft./20 ft./30 ft. or 20 ft./30 ft./40 ft. for Juvenile/Adult/Elder.

Oh, and Shade's Homebrew has the wrong base Space/Reach for Juvenile. It ought to be 10 ft./5 ft.

Cleon

Legend
I also prefer the current sizes.

10/20/30 ft for the bite works for me.

So how much bite damage are we giving it? I fancy the following...

Elder: Gargantuan, 24 HD, Str 42, Dex 11, Con 27, NA +18, stamp 6d8, bite 3d6
Adult: Huge, 12 HD, Str 30, Dex 11, Con 21, NA +12, stamp 4d6, bite 1d10
Juvenile: Large, 4 HD, Str 18, Dex 11, Con 15, NA +7, stamp 2d6, bite 1d6

That way a size-advanced juvenile and adult do a bit lower damage dice than the next maturity stage. (e.g. a Huge Juvenile is 3d6 stamp & 1d8 bite vs a standard Adult's 4d6 stamp & 1d10 bite; a Gargantuan Adult is 6d6 stamp & 2d8 bite vs a standard Elder's 6d8 stamp & 3d6 bite).

Cleon

Legend
You know, I think I'll add the above to the Working Draft I did, since Shade has been pretty low-profile recently.

EDIT: I've added everything we've come up with so far to the above Working Draft, so we have it all in one place when Shade wants to update the Homebrew.

I guess it's the Swallow Whole next. I'm thinking it should do damage equal to its bite attack (or thereabouts) plus some acid damage.

Last edited:

Remove ads