• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Cleon

Legend
Oh, yeah, I missed that one.

CR 7 seems a bit low compared to the remorhaz and purple worm. CR 9 or 10 maybe?
Are these ready for flavor and tactics?

They don't have poison or swallow whole, and their lack of tremorsense makes them easier to hide from.

I'd be willing to up them to CR 9.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
CR 9 will work for me.

Let's see. Tactics? Maybe they grab likely prey and carry it away while gnawing?

freyar

Lightning Reflexes will work.

Tactics: Super otters prefer to avoid a prolonged fight. Instead, they grab likely prey and swim off with it, devouring it at their leisure.

freyar

I think I'll call it a night. Hopefully I might come up with some background info and a description in a day or two.

Your revised tactics are fine, but I guess your hopes didn't work out. Hmmm. Why don't we say 60 ft and 10-12 tons?

Cleon

Legend
Your revised tactics are fine,

Updating Super Otter Working Draft.

...but I guess your hopes didn't work out.

A sinuous beast of prodigious length, maybe equal to a dozen humans lying head-to-toe. It has a long flat head with beady eyes, stubby web-footed legs and an elongated tail that tapers to a point. The creature's body seems as slim and flexible as a serpent, flexing up to form half-a-dozen humps on the water's surface. Its pale grey-brown hide appears rough and wrinkly.

Hmmm. Why don't we say 60 ft and 10-12 tons?

I prefer the range in the Working Draft.

Let's see...

Super otters may be primitive kin to ancient marine mammals such as the zeuglodon in Frostburn. They are found only in arctic waters and mostly prey upon fish and marine mammals far smaller than themselves, such as cod, halibut, or seals.

A super otter is 60 to 100 feet in length, including their tails, and typically weighs from 8000 to 25000 pounds.​

That OK? I didn't want to have much in the background info, since we have very little to go on.

Cleon

Legend

Remove ads