• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Monsters from Dungeon Magazine

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
It's not so much that I wanted to be "non-mechanical" as that I thought the current wording was a simpler, more elegant way of saying the same thing. ;) But if you both prefer the clunkier phrasing.... :p

Cleon

Legend
It's not so much that I wanted to be "non-mechanical" as that I thought the current wording was a simpler, more elegant way of saying the same thing. ;) But if you both prefer the clunkier phrasing.... :p

Forward to Clunkiville then!

How's this:

Yuan-ti Conditioning: If a yuan-ti uses a Charisma-based skill and mind-affecting power against a megalofolk it always succeeds, the megalofolk is not allowed a saving throw or resistance check.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Forward to Clunkiville then!

How's this:

Yuan-ti Conditioning: If a yuan-ti uses a Charisma-based skill and mind-affecting power against a megalofolk it always succeeds, the megalofolk is not allowed a saving throw or resistance check.

Let's slap an (Ex) on there (I loathe untyped SAs/SQs) and reword slightly:

Yuan-ti Conditioning (Ex): A yuan-ti using a Charisma-based skill against a megalofolk always succeeds. A megalofolk automatically fails all saving throws againts the mind-affecting spells and abilities of yuan-ti.

I dropped the resistance check since it lacks spell resistance.

Cleon

Legend
Let's slap an (Ex) on there (I loathe untyped SAs/SQs) and reword slightly:

Yuan-ti Conditioning (Ex): A yuan-ti using a Charisma-based skill against a megalofolk always succeeds. A megalofolk automatically fails all saving throws againts the mind-affecting spells and abilities of yuan-ti.

I dropped the resistance check since it lacks spell resistance.

No objections.

Updating Working Draft.

What about the description and background?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Megamazing but needs more megacontent.

They like tossing back Megalowenbraus while dining upon megalomein? :p

But seriously...

Megalofolk are clones of clones created from humans via yuan-ti experimentation. Each generation of megalofolk breeds slightly larger than its predecessors. Although originally the cloning process only worked on humans, yuan-ti have figured out how to create megalofolk out of histachii, and rumors persist that at least one pureblood found a way to clone himself.

Cleon

Legend
They like tossing back Megalowenbraus while dining upon megalomein? :p

But seriously...

Megalofolk are clones of clones created from humans via yuan-ti experimentation. Each generation of megalofolk breeds slightly larger than its predecessors. Although originally the cloning process only worked on humans, yuan-ti have figured out how to create megalofolk out of histachii, and rumors persist that at least one pureblood found a way to clone himself.

I don't much like the "clones of clones". Also, doesn't the "breeds slightly larger than its predecessors" mean their offspring are larger, not the clone itself?

I'd also like some mention of what they're used for.

How about.

Megalofolk are giant humanoids created via yuan-ti cloning experiments. They are magically indoctrinated to infallibly obey their yuan-ti masters during the creation process. Yuan-ti use megalofolk slaves as brute labour and disposable warriors, particularly in areas unsuited for cold-blooded reptiles.

Each generation of megalofolk is slightly larger than its clone predecessors. Originally, the cloning process only worked on humans, but yuan-ti have figured out how to create megalofolk out of histachii, and rumors persist that at least one pureblood found a way to clone himself.

Remove ads